Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing to BIG strings.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PollyBass, Dec 30, 2001.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok. lets say i have a neck thru, with the stock 45's from the factory. and i wanted to change them to 55's. what would i have to do to make sure the neck doesnt bend under the stress?
    Dont know if it belongs here. let the mod do with it what they will.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Probably belongs in "setup", but if you don't know what to do, you should probably take it in to a trusted tech and have it set up with the new strings. It will probably need a truss rod adjustment, and to have the intonation checked.

Just incidentally, I tried a number of pretty heavy strings in my quest for definition, but I found that, on my basses, they were actually less clear, particularly on the E, so I'm experimenting with lighter gauges now.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I would need a truss rod adjustment for a heaver string set? really. seems a little drastic....

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's not drastic at all!

Just put on the new strings. If the action increases, turn the rod a 1/4-turn (clock-wise) to straighten the neck a bit. Let it set over night and check again. That's it.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've had to tweak my Jazz twice in the two weeks since I mounted Fender 9050M flats (.055~.105). No biggie - it took me ten minutes each time using only three hex keys, a feeler gauge, a capo and a tuner - and that included resetting the action after tweaking the neck each time.

IMHO, every bassist should know how to do their own simple setups, and have the tools to do 'em.

6. As Flatwound suggested, this thread should go over to setup. So..........

off it goes!

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh, i know how to do all my adjustments. just didnt know you would have to make a truss rod adjustment. thanks.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    That's what they're for!