1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing to heavier gauge strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by akrein62, Feb 22, 2006.

1. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    I'm changing the strings on my Peavey Axcellerator 5 to a set of D'Addario Chromes .050-.070-.085-.105-.132

I don't know what is on the bass right now since I bought it used, but in my reading I've found that Peavey uses a lighter gauge from the factory. Before I take the old strings off, and this is my first time changing strings on a bass (I've done it on a guitar) I am concerned about the nut. Is there a significant chance I could break the nut trying to install the thicker strings? Is it likely that I would have to file the nut to make them fit? I just would like an idea what to expect before starting.

Thanks,

Andy

2. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    Well, even though no one responded to my original post, I took a chance and put the Chromes on. It worked out fine, except I was surprised that they were a little shorter than expected. The silk wrapping is only just past the nut, except for the B string, where the silk is partly in the nut groove. Also, the B string isn't quite as "flat" as the other 4 strings. But I still like them.