Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing to heavier gauge strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by akrein62, Feb 22, 2006.

1. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    I'm changing the strings on my Peavey Axcellerator 5 to a set of D'Addario Chromes .050-.070-.085-.105-.132

I don't know what is on the bass right now since I bought it used, but in my reading I've found that Peavey uses a lighter gauge from the factory. Before I take the old strings off, and this is my first time changing strings on a bass (I've done it on a guitar) I am concerned about the nut. Is there a significant chance I could break the nut trying to install the thicker strings? Is it likely that I would have to file the nut to make them fit? I just would like an idea what to expect before starting.

Thanks,

Andy

2. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    Well, even though no one responded to my original post, I took a chance and put the Chromes on. It worked out fine, except I was surprised that they were a little shorter than expected. The silk wrapping is only just past the nut, except for the B string, where the silk is partly in the nut groove. Also, the B string isn't quite as "flat" as the other 4 strings. But I still like them.