Changing to much thicker strings-How much truss rod loosening is needed?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tekhna, Dec 29, 2004.

1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I am assuming it is going to need to be loosened some, I am moving up to a .135 B, so it is going to be much thicker. Is 1/8 a turn enough, or should I go for the full 1/4?
  2. it will actually probably need to be tightened to counter act the increased tension pulling back on teh neck. the amount needed cant be told because its going to vary from bass to bass. you'll just have to set it up after you get the strings on
  3. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    If you are changing to thicker strings, you will definety need to tighten your truss rod. Before you do anything, you should check the tension on your existing strings. This will give you an idea of where the tension should be on your new strings. To do this, just push each string down on the last fret of the neck and measure how much distance there is between the top of the middle fret and the bottom of each string. This will tell you what your current preference is. You will find that when you put on new strings, and tune the bass, this distance will be much greater. By measuring first, you will have an idea of what you liked in your prior setup. It doesn't mean that you have to match it exactly, but it will save some stress on your truss rod and guess work.
    Good Luck.