1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing to pots of different value

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PipeRain, Oct 29, 2013.

1. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

Dec 4, 2012
    I have come across yet another set of my beloved Seymour Duncan Active EQ pickups and was trolling around SD's website looking for info on them. From what I learned, they were designed for either 25K or 100K pots but I can't seem to determine which one for sure, information on them is sparse at best. Calls to Seymour Duncan have not yielded me solid answers either. So, all you purveyors of electronic wisdom and knowledge, can ya help a brotha out?

What would be the results of wiring in 100K pots instead of 25Ks? Would the tone and/or output suffer? I don't suppose that it could damage the pickups, but is that in the realm of possibility?

Thanks for your input!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the 100ks would likely sound brighter and louder.

3. Brighter and louder, for sure, but this comes at the risk of a poor taper, if the pot value is too high for the signal impedance.

If you're not sure, just use 50k. That value works for most active things.

There is no risk of damage with any pot value, however. The pickups handle zero and infinite impedances without issue, so they don't care about any finite value in-between.