Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

changing tone/eq while playing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeadPoet, Jun 8, 2003.

1. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    Hi,

interesting question maybe for you guys.

I notice that when I play, I start out most of the time with the controls on my basses' 3band EQ nearly flat with a little bass and mid boosted.
    When I look at the controls at the end of any show I notice everything is boosted by at least 40% ! (so if 12 o'clock is starting position, I end up with everything at about 3-4 o'clock)

I might sometimes change some things deliberately (turn of highs and boost lows for thumb reggae, boost mids and bridge pickup for funky punch,...) but nevertheless, things change and well... sound natural to me.

Is this caused by ear fatigue ?
    Do you guys notice this too ?
    Is it me ? (plz say no :p ;) )

Herwig

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I think it is just ear fatigue. I used to continue to tweak all night then I realized it was just my slightly muffled hearing by the end of the night. Your tone sounds like it did in the beginning, you just perceive that it doesn't.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah I had the same problem.. we would do a sound check.. everything would be fine.. then after about an hour of playing.. i would think that everyone has turned up and I can't hear myself.. so i would turn up.. thus causing the band to get louder... i finally realized it was just me going deaf... so I stopped doing that.. easily fixed problem
    :D

4. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    Yep. Talked to some fellow musicians about it this weekend. They have the same perception of sound.

I've tried playing with protection, but it's harder to 'feel' the music that way. I just use my plugs between sets and after the show (when the DJ cranks the sound system :( )

Herwig :)continuing to look for 'the' sound: )

5. I fight this problem ALL THE TIME. I've tried turning down so low the others noticed, then asked THEM to turn down. The problem is that this trick lasts only a short while. I've also gone the opposite where I've brought all the equipment I have and turned it up balls to the wall. Problem is that everyone else does the same thing until the bar manager comes up and rags on the band leader. THAT WORKS if the future of the gig is in question, but the damage is usually done by then. I think the bigger issue is cooperation and mutual understanding concerning the band's overall volume. Some players can't deal with this common sense issue due to ego or whatever. Fortunately for us all, many can.