1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing tone of rosewood with hardners

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rdhbass, Apr 16, 2010.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Is it possible to add hardner to rosewood, filling the pores, changing the tone of it. I like even ebonol boards, i have a bass that plays great, wouldn't mind the spaces between the frets to feel like ebony and possibly brighten it?. My plan...add miniwax hardner, CA glue, sand, stain black. am i nuts. Its a cheap bass, yet I love it.

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i dont agree to any of this

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I had a fretless rosewood board that soaked up plenty of a solvent I used one time and the tone did change a little or so I thought. Example two: I played a Peavey dynabass that had the board darkened and lacquered with something. My question should have been REVISED...I like a smoother board than what rosewood gives..sorry.

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    No, hardeners are not going to make any really appreciable difference in tone. If you want a brighter tone, try brighter strings or hotter pickups, those will make much greater differences in tone than anything to do with the body, neck or construction materials...

5. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    a harder/smoother board on a fretless will make a difference - on a fretted bass, the strings are stopping on the fret and the board's hardness/smoothness won't matter.

6. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    You're pretty much going to get two answers to this question. Yes and No.

7. bassy7

bassy7

Jan 29, 2010
    What you really need to do is replace the plastic fingerboard position dots with some real tonewood dots. That'll do the trick. ;-)

Sorry I couldn't resist.....
    Seriously though, I wouldn't consider such a thing to change the tone-- its kind of like refinishing your bass body with a different finish to change the tone. Not gonna happen.

8. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    thanks and chew gum and stand on my head..that will be the ultimate tone change.