1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing tubes in an SVT 2 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkrockmike, May 13, 2011.

1. Here i go again with yet another amateur question haha. I have a bad power tube in my 2 pro and was wondering if i need to change all the tubes at once or if i can just change the bad one? Bought the amp used early last winter and have no idea when the guy last changed the tubes, although he said he had done so recently (which i doubt because of the massive amount of cobwebs that were inside the amp when i opened it up). Ive just heard things about "matched tubes" and wasn't sure if it was necessary to change them all at once, although I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to do it anyways.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    sometimes it can. my motto is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

yes, it's possible to replace one tube only if you can find a match for the other two in that triplet set. i don't know if any tube stores will do that for you, though. maybe an amp repair guy who has a lot of tubes around could do it. but they should be matched in triplets, and matching a single tube to yours isn't always possible, so it's more expedient to buy a matched triplet set in those cases. but you don't need to replace all 6.

3. alright thanks jimmy! and if only one burned out, could there be another problem within the amp, or do you think its just the tube? my roommate pulled one of the tubes out when i first bought it to see how they looked and i think he may have loosened the base of the tube in the process so that may also be the problem. Not sure.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    roommates...blech! roommates suck.

it never hurts to have a good tech look at it, especially if you're not sure about its current health. will cost you more than replacing the tube yourself, but will save you some aggravation if you diagnose it wrong, plus he can test all your tubes and get rid of the weak ones, which certainly doesn't hurt the tone of those things ;)

5. Yea good idea. I like to try and learn things myself but its probably a good idea to make sure everything is functioning properly before i try to dig my hands into it. thanks jimmy!