Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

changing tuners on YamahaBB1500A?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CJY, Jan 17, 2003.

1. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    Hi,
    I presently own a Yamaha BB1500A.It's a fine bass,but I find it a bit neck heavy.I've been thinking of changing the tuners to Hipshot Ultralights.Anyone tried this before?Do the Hipshots fit?Thanks in advance for your inputs.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The tuners will probably fit without modification as the BB Yamahas I have seen have the regular large, Fender style tuners.

But I have never seen that simply changing over to ultralight tuners makes any real difference in a bass being neck heavy.

If you just want new tuners, that's cool. Hipshots are very nice.

Chas

3. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    Thanks Chasarms,anyone else know if the hipshots will fit?

4. I have a BB1500A and the tuners do not look like fender tuners to me, well at least not like squier tuners, because it has much larger tuning pegs, but perhaps it only looks that way :confused:

5. Well if the yamaha has standard fender type tuners, it has 11/16" (17.5mm)holes in the head, and the hipshots need 9/16" (14mm) holes. Measure the holes.

6. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    Hi,
    I measure 14mm across,so I guess they should fit?Anyone try this before?Thanks.

7. Hipshot does the Ultralites in two post sizes- the Gotoh 9/16" small post type and larger 11/16" Fender type (as fitted on the Fender Roscoe Beck5).

- check the website page for details-

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/