Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing tuning...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by frankencow150, Jan 23, 2006.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Hi, with my guitars and basses I'm usually in Drop D tuning.

Would changing the tuning every week affect the neck or any other part of the guitar/bass?

I want to go back and forth from Drop D to a tuning that is in standard but a whole step down for each string.

Thanks in advance,
    Kenny

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    In general, nothing bad will happen. You will have overall lower tension. That could cause a little backbow if you were on the edge to start with. The intonation could be slightly different, but it should be unchanged. That lower tension could mean more fret noise, again if your action was on the ragged edge of low action before tuning down to D. Otherwise, it isn't the kind of thing that is going to cause any real problems.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    No real risks, as mentioned. The rub will be setup. You're going to have to settle on a compromise. You'll have run the action high in standard to keep the bass playable in drop tuning. The intonation won't be perfect either.

The only other issue is the strings themselves. Dropping and tuning back up, dropping and tuning back up, etc., will shorten the life of the strings. And, it may be hard to find a string that you are comfortable with in both tunings. Anything that feels good in drop D is going to stiff in standard. It it's good in standard, it'll be sloppy in drop D.

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Could always install a detuner for your E string. Then you wouldn't have to worry about tuning the whole thing...just flip the switch on the detuner, and automatically, you're in D.