Changing Your TB Name

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Dec 7, 2004.

1. I guess i'm gonna be the one to bring this up.
    I've read your posts and understand that you're a guitar luthier. But, i also have to say that I find it awkward to communicate with you as Lex Luthier because one of our great double bass luthiers, Jeff Bollbach, has been using that as a signature name for many years.
    I'm not trying to start a scene and I welcome you to TBDB!
    It just seems a bit awkward.
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Imagine how Gene Hackman must feel.
  3. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    O.k. but is there a way to change the name with out having to toally re-register? :eyebrow:
  4. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Before I started playing bass again in 1998 after a several years layoff due to tendinitis, I worked in a guitar store in the San Francisco Bay Area. One of the owners is very heavily invested in being the authority and having the last word. He repeatedly claimed that "Double Basses" were 4/4 basses only because they were the biggest!

About 3 years after I left that store, I started playing again and came across the note about doubling the cello line somewhere, maybe in one of Elgar's great little bass books.

Steve Swan
  5. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    People here call me "Mingus" for short - that wasn't my intention!!! :)
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Quadritto. Hes not terribly hardcore about this kind of thing at all. Helping support the site would be a nice gesture as well for those who aren't supporting members yet, and the TB coffee travel mugs you get by way of compensation are worth the price of admission on their own. :)
  8. Welcome Matt! Lemme put that another way....Welcome, Matt.
  9. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003

uh oh, now TBers can find and stalk ....wait.....I'm on a crappy Island
  10. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks Paul.
  11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    How was he able to register as "Lex Luthier" when we already have one? On other boards I've been on, I've found that if somebody has already registered with a username that I'm attempting (People must like mine because I've found it already registered on many other sites lately. Plus I get a lot of compliments on it being clever and entertaining.), I get a denial and am prompted to choose another name. TB doesn't have this?
    EDIT: OK, just checked the members list. Jeff isn't using "Lex Luthier" anymore.:p

For what it's worth, I think having a user name (other than your real name) is perfectly fine (lighten up boys), just as long as your true name/info is in your user profile.

I have also heard the "double the cello line" given as an explanation for the term/name "Double Bass".