Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, May 10, 2005.

1. just bought DR hi beams, never changed strings b4, should i just do it on my own or pay a store to change them cuz i dont wanna mess anything up

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    You can do them. You may need to do a setup afterwards, in which if its not an expensive bass I recommend taking the time to do also, and learning how to do it.

3. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    It's not hard to do. Couple hints though, string the strings through the bridge, then measure the string to about 3-3.5 inches past the tuning peg it's going on. Bend it there 90 degrees, then cut it about half an inch past the bend. String it from there. Also, when winding the strings on, keep an even pressure on them, and make sure that each consecutive wrap goes UNDER previous one. The strings should have a bit of a downward angle past the nut. These are the things I wish I'd known the first time I tried to change strings. Good luck and have fun :) (oh yeah, remember to only do 1 string at a time, too)