Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chaningin' ur NUTS!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Jun 8, 2002.

1. I was just wondering if any of you men out there could like, take off ur nuts and put like a like new pair on???? J/K!!!!!!!
    REally I was just wondering how much it would cost to get the nut on my Stingray 5 changed cause the g-string is messed up.Tanks!:D ;)

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

3. I found a precut nut for my fretless on ebay for $8.

StewMac sells nut blanks, and a nut files are inexpensive, too.

your local tech could do it with ease as well. You might not need a new nut, if its just the G that is bad. If it sits too low, you could fill the gap to the right height. If it is too high, file it down tot he right height.

4. ChaosGwar is correct. I guess work with what you've got. Only one string is causing the hassle, therefore only one nut slot. Either file it down, or fill it to make it narrower, or more shallow.

:D:D

Merls

5. I can understand that you can use the same nut if the string is too high or low, but the problem with mine is that the g-string slides off the fingerboard. Wouldn't I need a new nut for that?

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If the outside edge of the nut is broken off and that is what is causing the string to slide out, you need a new one.

I would e-mail EBMM and ask them to send you one. If you don't want to hastle, you could simply take to a tech. They are not likely to charge you very much. Especially if they are a EBMM dealer.

Chas

7. the nut isn't broken the spacings just messed up.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Sounds like a warranty repair.

9. If its under warranty then definately take it back. thats what its there for! plus if you get it done under warranty they may give you a new warranty, even if it is for just that part.

If its not under warranty, then try packing the nut to make it narrower (that is a word? narrower? hmm)

:D:D

Merls

10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    SOME warranty repairs i have had done have been known to be cheap, and just as nasty. Just a warning :D

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I have an SR5 and the G string is also very close to the edge of the finger board. When I first started playing it the G string would also slide off the edge. It's something that I just had to be careful with and now it never happens to me anymore, but it will happen to others who play it.