1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chantix vs. Patches

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ProgRapture, Sep 9, 2008.

1. I need to quit smoking. Pack a day for about 3 years now, (I know, not that long, but too long as well), and it's about time I quit.
    I've heard Chantix works really well, but I've also heard some horror stories about the side effects.

Any ex-smokers want to share how they quit? It's going to take a lot of self control and motivation to even get me started, so help a brother out and lets hear some stories and/or advice!

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Don't even bother with the gum.

It tasted gross. Infact, I used to smoke a cigarette to get the awful taste out of my mouth...

3. Haha...how ironic...

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Cold Turkey. Cheaper, harder, more permanent. If you truly want to quit, you'll be able to stick with it.

5. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Disagree. Cold turkey is the worst way to quite, especially if you want to stay smoke-free.

Chantix does work very well. They do recommend not prescribing it to young adults suffering from depression.

I used Chantix and it took 6 weeks of gradually cutting down on cigarettes per day to be able to stop smoking completely. I still had two weeks of my Chantix prescription left, but didn't need to use it. I've been smoke free for a year and a half.

I disliked the gums and losenges because they were too harsh on my throat. The patches caused an allergic skin reaction.
    Cold turkey just made me unbearable to be around (even for me! :eyebrow:)

6. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I can't decide if I want to quit or not. I really do enjoy it, and I'm not too excessive (2-3 a day, and I've gone months without before). I guess I just really enjoy the taste of tobacco more than the addictive qualities? Gah, I need to ponder this more.

Best of luck with the quitting. If you want to ween yourself off of smoking, try nasal snuff. Same rush, no smoke. Gets you tons of funny looks if you cut it into lines and do it in public!

7. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Chantix gave me really wild, vivid dreams.