1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chapman MLB-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Insignificant, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Insignificant

Insignificant

Jul 4, 2016
    Hello so I've been considering buying a Chapman MLB-1 for a while and would basically have to pay around $800 for one and can't find much reviews on it so I'm wondering if anyone have it or have tried it and can tell me what's good and what's bad about it and your opinions.
    Was originally going to try to buy an Aria Pro II SB 1000 but think there's no chance in getting one in Norway :(

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    There is one customer review at Thomann, but in German (5 star feedback). Sure you can use Google Translator. Good luck.
    Chapman Guitars MLB-1 Bass

also:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  3. Insignificant

Insignificant

Jul 4, 2016
    Thank you, looking for more opinions. Also, saw a comment about the bass somewhere about "how the strings going from the nut to the tuners are angled thinking that can cause tuning issues and/or premature nut wear", is that just overthinking it or could it be an issue?

4. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Way way overthinking I'd say. Looks like a sweet bass!

5. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Just curious if you ever got a chapman. Posted a similar thread a few weeks back asking if anyone had any experience with them.

6. JohnJ

JohnJ

Mar 31, 2019
    I got one today, but I'm going to be returning it. Short story: well-balanced, nice neck, easy to play, sounds good, but literally painful pickup design.

The main problem is the design of the pickups. They are mounted so they stick way out from the body, and they have sharp edges. When I play fingerstyle, it's fine. But slapping actually hurts my right hand as it bumps into those sharp edges. I didn't catch that in the store, unfortunately. Only noticed after I got it home. See attached pics.

IMG_1797.

IMG_1798.

The frets could use some filing on the edges as well -- though that might not be the fault of the manufacturer. Dry air here in Colorado is hard on wood instruments, so it might have just shrunk enough to expose the frets. If I was going to keep it, I'd for sure get the fret edges filed, because they're scratching up my left hand enough to cause some minor bleeding.

If your technique is such that the pickups don't hurt your hands like they hurt mine, you might love this bass. I do like the way it sounds, and it looks beautiful. I don't really want to take it back, but at least for the way I play, the design of the pickups is not working for me.

7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I played a 5-string version a coiled of days ago at SJ GC. I liked most everything about it except the string spacing at the nut was too narrow for me.