Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chapman Stick Info- Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ytsebri, Jan 4, 2001.

1. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I'm considering purchasing a Chapman Stick in the near future. I would appreciate any feedback/stories of your encounters with and likes/dislikes of this instrument. Thanks guys.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Sorry. That's all I got. It's late (early?). I don't have one.
    Saw Tony Levin play one once...cool! :cool:

3. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I have an old Standard Stick (it has a 3-digit serial number and dual truss rods, so I think it's a mid- to late-70s model very much like Tony Levin's). I love it, even though I play it like a bass player rather than like a guitarist, which means I do a lot of simpler, more bass-focused stuff. I'm not all over the place playing melodies over bass lines. Actually, my Stick only gives me the five bass strings (the five melody strings are silent, maybe because I'm not running it stereo. Dunno.), and that's plenty. It's very woody. Very tribal. And it has a personality all it's own. I do a lot of drone notes low and then work with other lines above the insistent drone. The fifths tuning with the C string--the lowest bass string--in the center of the board takes a little getting used to, but once you develop even a rudimentary facility with it, it's very cool. I've been considering selling mine and getting a Stick Bass but keeping the fifths and fourths tuning. The Stick Bass is an 8-string version that you can either tune like a bass from a low B on up in ascending fourths, or set up with a tuning that's like the 10 string model without the outermost two strings. Anyway, if you'd like to know more, feel free to e-mail me.

4. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Thanks for the info guys. I've already been to stickweb, etc. for info to augment what I already knew about the Stick. The questions I have are a little more technical. What amps do you find work best? Can you just run both sides into the same amp, and if so, does it sound pretty good? Also, I'd like to hear about the differences between Rails and Fret Rods (pointed and round fretwire). How difficult was the adjustment, and things like that. :D

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I bought a used Stick many years ago after seeing Tony Levin with Peter Gabriel. Like Lull4all, I played mostly bass parts on it, but I did have fun experimenting with chords. I eventually sold mine. I found that without effects, the sound was kind of wimpy. I found that to get close to the sounds Tony Levin was getting, I had to use a compressor and a flanger, etc. The Stick came with a video of Mr. Chapman playing amazing stuff, but I noticed he was hooked up to a ton of effects, too. I eventually figured that with work, I could get my fretless to sound close to the sound I was looking for. I did have fun with it, but I can express myself better on bass.

6. It was't long ago I was debating stick or seven string. Seven string won and there is no looking back. I hope that more chose as I have, this is the instrument of the future I wish that I was younger or they had invented this bass 30 years ago.

7. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Thanks Monkey. I know that now, though, they have the active p'up systems as well as Roland Synth p'ups as options. If anyone can let me know if these have solved Monkey's Stick problems, let me know!

8. jimstick

jimstick

Dec 8, 2000
    I play an 8 string stick bass. It is my main instrument. I love it!!! It has "The Block" active pickup module and is tuned in straight 4ths Low B-High Bb. A MUST is the Stick Night '99,Greg Howard, or Bob Culbertson videos available through stick enterprises. First gig with new band is in a few hours(Doc Watson's in Philly). Can't sleep,very pumped up right now.

9. Oh no I getting GAS, not again did you say eight strings.

10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Check out Sticknews@aol.com. It's an online Stick mag where you can post technical questions and search the archives (there are about 120 issues so far). Also go to touchstyle.com which lists the homepages of many tapping artists and instrument companies. I borrowed a Stick for a little while 11 years ago and was quite intrigued with its possibilities. After seeing the Trey Gunn band open up for Victor Wooten last year I've started looking somewhat seriously for a touchstyle instrument. I've talked to quite a few tappers and almost all of them have said that the quality of Warr guitars is much higher than Stick instruments, particularly in terms of sound quality, versatility, and intonation. I've never played a Warr myself but you may want to investigate them before plonking down $1600-plus for a new Stick.

11. jimstick

jimstick

Dec 8, 2000
    Anyone tried the ADG(8 or 10 strings,made by Warr Guitars).
    I am thinking of getting the 8 string as a backup(or main?)
    to my 8 string stick. I hear it has better sustain and resonance than stick.

12. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I've been experimenting with an 8-string Warr Guitar for a couple of years now, and have decided that someone else would probably do this great instrument more justice. It is one of the best sounding electric stringed instruments I've heard, and I've heard a few.

I only mention this because someone said they might be looking for and 8-string. I don't normally place an "ad" in a forum that it doesn't belong.

please see classifieds for details, thanks.