Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chapman Stick

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Petary791, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Does anyone here play a Stick? I've been getting into Tony Levin and John Myung a lot, and damn, those Sticks are awesome. I kinda want one, but at $1900, it's not gonna happen.

So if you play one, do you like it? What don't you like?

EDIT: I've just watched the Method Videos, and i've got freaking goosebumps! That sounds sooooooooooo amazing. Can anyone suggest me some songs with a Stick in it? So far i've got the Liquid Tension stuff, Discipline (the album) by King Crimson, and the song "New Millenium" by Dream Theater.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Just so you know, I know you didn't get that far into King Crimson... if you want to check out the album "Power to Believe." It has Mr. Trey Gunn playing the Warr Guitar. It's similar to the Stick but has heavier tone. Just letting you know.

I'm more of a stick fan myself, and I wish to someday be the richest man in all of France and I will own a stick and an upright bass.

3. kevin at krappyguitars.com makes a touchstyle guitar, and has them fairly cheap, he quoted me at 500 dollars, which is a good deal compared to warr which is really expensive.

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I would probably let my stick go for $900 or so,

Mine is one of the old ironwood models. It's from about 1983 or so,

Just so you know what you are getting yourself in to, it is the most frustrating and difficult instrument to get 'good' on that I have ever encountered. I have had mine since 1989 or so and still wouldn't feel comfortable playing it out at a gig.

But when you hear somone who can really use the instrument the way it is meant to be,,,wow, Just wow.

Also look for Bruce Cockburn Live, and anything by Greg Howard.

5. Go to the "Double Bass Forum" and there's an "Electric Upright Basses" catagory. There's probably quite a few posters there that would have info on this "stick". Just a thought. ;)

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I don't get that at all. THe stick couldn't be much less like a DB. I think you pictured Tony Levin and saw him in your head with an NS Upright EUB. He plays one of those too. And it's very DB derived. But it isn't a Stick.

The Stick is a ten-stringed tapping instrument, with (usually) five melody strings tuned in fourths, and five accompaniment strings tuned in fifths. Now the confusing part: The 'right hand' strings are oriented in the conventional manner, with the highest string close to the palm of your left hand. The 'left hand' strings are reversed so that the highest string is close to the palm of your right hand. The lowest strings are in the middle of the touchboard. The highest strings are along the outer edges. I tune mine in 'matched reciprocal' tuning. The strings have the same names as each other, sort of. Mine is, high to low to high, EADGCEADGC, with the 'A's in unison.

You neither pick, strum, or slap the strings. You fret your notes by tapping LIGHTLY on the string at the note you want. Think of the technique as light hammering for every note and you won't be far off.

http://www.stick.com/instruments/stick/ will show you a good representation of the traditional Chapman Stick.

7. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    Been wanting a stick ever since I stumbled on a Peter Gaberial DVD with Tony Levin. Yes, I know about king crimson, trey gunn was in it with a warr, and there was a time that tony levin and trey gunn both had sticks.

Just always wanted one, not gonn heppen for a while :crying:

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hey guys, thanks for all the info! I really want one, but alas I need a car, but man, what a cool instrument. My mom loves it too, and it's good when you've got your parents on your side for something that's expensive. :D

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'll let mine go for about half the cost of a new one...if I actually ever let it go. Palomorado has first dibs on it because he said he wanted it something like a year ago when I considered selling it the last time.

I keep thinking about letting it go. I want other gear that I can't afford, and I know I would be able to get better use out of a five string bass than I can out of the Stick. But I get almost ready to sell it...and then I get inspired to try to get decent on it again. It hasn't worked yet, and i've had it around twelve years or more.

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Here's my little Brian O'Connell plug. Guy rules on bass - used to be in Uncle Sammy and is in The Gordon Stone Band now. He plays the Warr guitar quite a bit. He did a solo piece of Here Comes the Sun when Harrison died a couple years ago - amazing.

11. Listen to 'The Dreaming Tree' by the Dave Matthews Band on their album 'Before These Crowded Streets' for some awesome stick playing by greg howard.

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I've had one for seven years. I don't play it that much anymore. I have a standard 12-string model.

I love the sound on the bass strings. The sound on the melody strings is too thin and one-sided for me. It sounds good in some settings, it's not too versatile IMO.

I don't like the playing position, I'm not fond of always having to wear a belt when I play. And I don't like the fingerboard facing completely away from me. The neck was a bit too wide for my hands, the little finger on my left hand couldn't make it to the highest two strings on the bass side.

I found that 12 strings was too many for my head to get around. The unusual dot positionig - one dot every 5 frets - didn't help either. Yes its consistent with the straight fourths tuning and all that, but I have the "regular" guitar dot pattern burned into my skull now.

The strings are so thin, and at such low tension, that keeping intonation in check can be a pain.

I've wanted to get a Warr, probably an 8-string, for a long time, but I don't play the instrument enough for that to be worthwhile.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

HA! Damn, that HAD my favorite Stephan bassline... and now I know why. ;)

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

With a name like krappy... it has to be good!

I'm going to check for soundclips. 500 bucks sounds almost too good to be true.

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Are you sure it's a standard? The 12 string model is not standard I don't think, i'm pretty sure the 10 is. But anyways, thanks for the input!

16. i kinda liked that version of scarborough fair

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    What I meant was that I have a 'standard' version of the 12-string Grand Stick, sorry for the confusion. :)

(eg, it has the standard pickups and frets, is made of rosewood, etc).

18. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ahhhhh ok. :)

I'm still pretty interested in these things. Does anyone have some songs that uses a stick other than that DMB song? So far my Playlist of Stick songs consists of "New Millenium" by Dream Theater, "Osmosis" by Liquid Tension Experiment, "Chris and Kevin's Excellent Adventure" by Liquid Tension Experiment, "Elephant Talk" (my personal favorite) by King Crimson, and "Discipline" by King Crimson.

19. You could take a look at Bob Culberston's site, he is a fantastic player of the Stick.

Bob Culbertson

Also worth checking out Jim Lampi, very cool sounds especially the "Greazy" album.

Jim Lampi

I think these guys prove how interesting and versatile the Stick can be.

For a more general view of tapping instruments and tunings you could also try Daniel Schell's excellent site.

Daniel Schell

I hope these prove of interest to you

Cheers

Nick

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Definitely check out Sean Malone. He has a solo album, and two ensemble albums under the name Gordian Knot, among other things. Great player.