Chapman Stick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flag2Flag, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I was wondering if someone on TB has or have played a chapman stick bass. i first saw John Myung play one, and wve since, ive been turned on to them. any thoughts would be great.
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I LOVE the Chapman Stick. In fact that's the highest on my GAS list right now-- right after a car. :p

The first person I saw play one was Tony Levin and John Myung. I've never actually played one. You really need to check out Tony Levin and Sean Malone. Hit me up on AIM at EyCroce791 and i'll send you some King Crimson and some Gordian Knot.
  3. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
  4. I play a ten string maple Stick.
    It sounds fantastic and allows me to play things I can't do on a bass. OTOH, independent left and right playing is very difficult.. at least for me it is :smug:
    What more do you want to know?
  5. Don't look at that Scott, a REAL Stick is way cooler!

6. bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    I paly a 12 string Warr. The thing is gorgeous, and the tone is just "wow". The thing with Chapman sticks is that they always have that Chapman stick sound. It's weird, even with heavy effects, I can still pick out a chapman stick. Warr's are definitely more expensive, but Oh god do they sound great.
    Getting used to standard touchstyle tuning can be a bit odd at first. The bass side is tuned in fifths, getting higher in pitch towards the edge of the board. After you've messed with it a while, though, all of a sudden it will just click. It's a bit hard to find sheet music to help learn it, it helps to be able to read both staffs, many piano pieces can be adapted to work on the warr.
    Check out and for strings and other players. Everyone tends to be really helpful and friendly, we tend to be few and far between, and it's a lot of new territory on these instruments.
    Also check out Austin Douglas guitars, a entry level Warr sub company, and Trakor Topaz's Megatar, that man is doing a lot to advance touchstyle.
    Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you've got questions, need help. If you're ever going to be near Philadelphia, let me know, I'd be happy to let you play my Warr and talk shop.:)
  7. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have an NS/Stick on order. Same sting layout as the Stick Bass!!
  8. Here's a short clip of Don Schiff playing an NS/Stick:

They're nice instruments. I used to have a Warr 8-string which is similar to a Stick Bass. I just won a 10 string (straight fourths tuning) Warr on eBay. Should be here next week.

- Dave
  9. And so it begins.

(putting on flame retardant suit)

- Dave
  10. FastEddie

Feb 13, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    A friend of mine picked up a 12 string Stick, and I got to see him playing it at a gig in January. Wow, that thing is massive! It looks very cool but also very hard to play... then you see the demo movies on the site and shake your head...

It is REALLY expensive, though, so if you are going to go for one, be prepared to dish out a considerable amount of dough.
  11. Just joking, don't want to start a flame. :)

Dave congrats on your new Warr, do you prefer a 10 string straight fourth tuning over a fifth tuning? Why?
    I might consider that for my Stick too, but the headache of a whole new setup... :meh:
  12. Standard Stick tuning doesn't make sense to me. The fact that you not only have to avoid your left hand to play with your right hand but the left hand can't even play a scale in one position seems wrong to me.

I think the ideal tuning is uncrossed fourths with the bass on the bottom in fourths and the treble an octave higher on the top. I have a 12-string like that but I don't play it much because I don't have room to keep it out. It's also hard to play properly sitting down.

This instrument is tuned like a 10 string bass from a low B. I'm going to try and tune it down to a low F#. This will be more for music where I'm playing one melodic part with two hands as opposed to two. Maybe if I get good at that, I'll do it more.

- Dave
  13. Thanx Dave.

I'm reading about a new tuning developed by Greg Howard which should be easier for bass players using the Stick in a group. It's called dual bass reciprocal, i'm going to try this one out for sure!!
  14. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I've been noodling with the Stick for a long time. I really should have devoted more time to it, but things have always just gotten in the way and I've relied on the bass. In recent years I would only take it or my fretless to my church gigs and challenge myself to get better on them. It's a great instrument, not so easy to get the hand independance happening(at least for me), and I love the signature "Stick" sound. Warr's are cool, would love to play one. I'll be checking out that new tuning.

Get one!