Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chapman Stick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hookha, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    I wonder
    there is a champman stick with 4 strings?
    like BASS Champman stick?
    or its only electric guitar?

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    um, neither. it's its own thing.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    There's a NS Stick Bass with 8 strings...

4. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

there are some of the limited edition 7 strings out there as well. I used to have one, it had that classic Stick tone, but tuned like a 7 string bass.

5. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    I had the pleasure of playing a stick, once...

I think it had 8 or 10 strings, 4 bass and 4 or 6 guitar strings. It's a different kind of groove to get into.

Very much like playing a piano, in a sense.

6. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
  7. There are ways to specially set up a 4-string bass for tapping, and certain basses that work better than others for it. If you don't mind the extra strings, I think you would prefer the NS Stick. I hear many great things about it.:cool:

8. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    the 8 string chapman stick can be set up like a bass. cool instruments....take a lot of getting used to (if you play piano it helps).

they do one in compressed bamboo--pretty unusual.

i checked recently, there's a pretty long wait for a new one.

9. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I've been on the waiting list for an NS Stick (8 string "bass" model) for almost 18 mos. I call once in a while to make sure they're still alive over there, and yes my name's still on the list. The expected production date keeps moving out each time I talk to them.

I've kinda put it out of my mind figuring that eventually they'll make a bunch of them and I'll get one. I wouldn't doubt that it'll be another year or so.

10. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Me too. I have been contacted with wood choices. The story I get is that they are having a bit of trouble with the new graphite neck. I hate waiting!

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I know where you could find a vintage ironwood 10 string model for a pretty good price. I am mad at mine this week.

12. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    ok thank you guys

what the prices range of a Stick Bass?
    i heard that thing is super expensive!

and what is a graphite neck?

13. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    IIRC, you can expect to drop about $2k on the 8 string NS Stick.

Graphite neck= neck made composite material containing graphite. many basses are made with these (Zon and Pedulla for example).

Advantages are: very stable, does not change shape (like wood necks do over time); very strong; smooth, non-sticky feel.

Disadvantages: some say they are too "sterile" sounding; may be mre difficult to refret; some do not have a truss rod (since it's not really needed due to stability) so small tweaks in neck relief my not be possible.

My Zon has a grphite composite neck and I like it, don't find it sterile at all.

14. jlt

jlt

Apr 24, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    I ordered a grand stick a few weeks ago and they told me that production won't start until September and it should be completed in November. Hearing from what you guys are saying, it looks like I'm going to have to wait even longer. At least I don't have to put a deposit down until they near the start production.

15. s.m.80808

s.m.80808

May 5, 2006
    +1 except they said 8 months from now. so sometime next year.

Anyone know the story behind this?

16. bound

bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    check out Warr guitars and ADG guitars, too, along with the megatar. It'll give you an idea of what else is out there.:)

17. They're great instruments, I was doing a series of small gigs along your west coast, in 1993, on a night off we went into a small bar in Santa Barbara, and there was a bloke there playng one.
    It was the first time that I'd actually seen one, really impressive.

18. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    It's a very small company, only a handful(if that) of employees.

19. Low-B-Mundy

Low-B-Mundy

May 18, 2005
    There is a Chapman Bass Stick ........ I have one it's 8 strings tuned in forths. it took $4000,00 and 9 months for them to build it for me.

[​IMG]

20. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I've always wanted to try the SB-8, but it's not like they're in the corner store for checking out.