Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chapman Stick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zon Bass, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Anyone have any information on these instruments.

Songs, tunings, strings, prices, locations i can try one, what they sound like, other similar instruments
    Or anything else

Thanks

2. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
  3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yep - www.stick.com is the place to go for details. They've got a lot on there.

They also have used Sticks, and I'd seriously think about giving them a call if you're thinking about getting one used - Emmett goes over each one and cleans it up and sets it up properly. Ebay, like always, is a bit of a crapshoot (there are two on there now, one looks fairly recent, mid-to-late 90s, the other is 20+ years old and is warped!? Note that the Serial #s are not really understandable by mortals :) )

Warrs are very nice, and have some unique things going for them (they hang differently, and you can adjust the angle on the fly - the Stick more or less rests at a fixed position. They also sound quite a bit different in general). But, they're pricey and like Dave said hard to find used.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S. Dave - more nice NAMM pics! I was wondering who the subjects are - I recognize Randy Strom and you already mentioned what's-his-name-Fresno :) I have a hunch the guy in the red jacket is Paul Edwards? Don't have a clue who the guy playing the Artisan or the one with the ADG are though.

5. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Dave, I don't believe that is a Warr. It only has 7 strings. I thought Warr instruments had a minimmum string count of 9? ;)

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    :confused:

I see 8. . .

7. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    By George, you are right!

I have got to get my eyes checked..... :(

8. The guy with the ADG is Ray Ashley, a regular at TapTalk. The guy in red is Warr Guitars employee and phenomenal Warr player Jim Wright. The guy with the Artisan is Ian Varialle ( I think ). Brian Kenney Fresno will be playing this Saturday in the Fillmore poster room in San Francisco. He will also be playing the Bay Area quite a bit. I highly recommend seeing him play. It's like nothing you could possibly have ever seen before.

[​IMG]

- Dave

9. I call this good customer relation (well with the price range of Warr and whit my income it seems that I'll never able to buy one but anyway let's call it potential/dreaming customer relation)! I've filled their guest book a while ago and was waiting news, updates about their product. But now I hear that they released their hollowbody Warr thanks to Dave Grossman. If they don't have time or they really don't want to send e-mail why they've put the form to fill?

Dave would you mind giving news us when their BassWarr will be out too(I think you'll hear it before us)? Thanks

10. I've never filled out their guestbook myself so I'm not sure what's up with that. I'm on the TapTalk mailing list which is frequented by Jim Wright and Mark Warr of Warr Guitars among others. New developments are usually announced there.

As for the Warr Bass, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. They have had parts of their site under construction for over a year. It's a small company and things move slowly.

- Dave

11. Thanks Dave. How can I join the TapTalk mailing list?

12. Thanks, I've joined (I think)..

13. Can you string a stick or a grand stick so that you have a low B on the bass side? I understand the Stick bass does, but did not know if you could do it on a regular stick.

14. You can have one made or adjusted to have any tuning you want. If you want the low B to be on the bass side, you should probably check out the Warr Phalanx:

[​IMG]

The one in the pic above is being played by Jim Wright by Warr Guitars. I saw him play complex Zappa and King Crimson tunes on that thing. Just him and a drummer. It was incredible!

I'm hoping to get a Phalanx someday. It allows you to play with your hands uncrossed. I like my 8-string though.

Jim is wearing a Brian Kenney Fresno T-shirt in that pic. Brian Kenney Fresno is a phenomenal Warr Guitarist and a really funny guy. He has this one-man show that has to be seen to be believed. He's playing this Wednesday at the Sweetwater Saloon in Mill Valley, CA this Wednesday. His web site is at http://www.bonghitrecords.com/

Here's a pic of Brian from the Warr Guitars showcase at NAMM:

[​IMG]

- Dave

15. About how much do Warr Guitars run? I'm thinking about getting into touchstyle, but it seems to me that the Warrs are extremely expensive (from what I've heard). I'll probably be forced to go with a used Stick. Can anyone shed more light on the situation?

16. Warrs look cool, but seem very pricy. I was just wondering about the stick in case I ever decide to get a used one. Thanks for the info, though. Very informative.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've seen Chapman Sticks used in shops in the UK for about £900 - £1,000 - add on about half as much again for US $.

They look very impressive - the ones I have seen, but I've never felt confident enough to actually try one in a shop - the neck is huge and I just wouldn't know where to start! ;)