Chapman Stick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMann2112, Jun 29, 2002.

1. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Anyone play a Stick in this Forum?
    They are truly a wicked instrument
    How about it?
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Try the search feature, I searched for "chapman" and got 143 results.
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've played my friend's 12-string Grand Stick a few times, and am saving ever-so-slowly for my own 10-string. After admiring players such as Tony Levin, Greg Howard, Sean Malone and John Myung for so long I'd really like to expand into the realm of the Stick. :D
  4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I know there are a few out there. I'm going to be the newest one in about a month. After playing bass for 17 years, I'm going to take on the Stick as my only instrument.
    I've got a graphite extended scale 10 string on the way. I'll keep the forum posted (no pun intended) on how the progress goes.
  5. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    Having just watched Deja Vrooom see:
    I am fully convinced that Warrs, while nice, are a luxury.
    I'm once again feeling The Stick is a necessity!

I'll be curious about your progress mj.
    Keep us in the loop!
  6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    The Warr is nice, no doubt about it. Personally, I like the features of the Stick a little better- Fret rails, Villex pickups, carbon fiber, belt hook etc.
    Stick has been at it a LONG time and the design has been refined again and again.
    I know it's going to be a tough transition but I look forward to musically pushing myself. I haven't had any formal music education since I graduated from college with a BA in Music in 89 (sheesh), so I'm looking for a good instructor and plan on putting in some serious practice time. I'll stay in touch.
  7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Ok, ok, I'll bite...

My Graphite 10 is back at Emmett's right now for a re-configuration, and I hope to have it back soon. It is the newest model w/Rails and the Villex PASV-4 block. The sound is very nice, clean and clear, and the PASV-4 has alot of tone options, as well as the advantage of being batteryless. I didn't get alot of playing time in on this instrument before I realised that I ordered a string configuration that wasn't as playable as I'd hoped, so it's getting changed to the standard configuration. Ah well, I should have listened to Emmett in the first place.

I'll save my Sick/Warr comparison unless someone really wants to hear it.

...hi David.
  8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've had my Purpleheart 10 string Stick with standard pickup for about a year now, and I'm so glad I got it-it's increased my understanding and enjoyment of music immensely. Dedicated practice on the Stick has improved my ability to understand harmony-the movement of multiple voices in realtime-like nothing else I've ever found.

The minimal, ergonomic design of the instrument really appeals to me and the adjustable nut/stainless steel Fret Rails have been very helpful in letting me find a tuning/string gauge I like and dialing the setup in without having to send it back for adjustment. I've been using the Baritone Melody tuning but I think I'm gonna change to Matched Reciprocal to get a few more notes on the high range.

The Warr has the advantage of a deeper, woodier sound but is much heavier and considerably more expensive (and I've always found the Warr body shape to be pretty durn fugly).

Coyoteboy-are you Andrew from Jerry B's Alameda get-together a few months ago? I'm glad you love your new Graphite baby and I'm not surprised that you decided to change to the standard setup from the uncrossed layout. To me uncrossed sounds good in theory but having the lowest strings on the edges of the fingerboard is actually pretty awkward (IMHO).

To anyone wanting to get into the Stick I'd suggest getting one with a truss rod and (preferably) an adjustable bridge. The older versions without these features don't come anywhere near the newer ones in terms of playability and accurate intonation.
  9. I refuse to buy a Stick so long as Emmett Chapman continues to threaten legal action against people who criticize his product. (This happened to me on alt.guitar.bass a few years back. It was quite amusing.)
  10. Is it only possible for supporting members to do searches? I can't seem to find the search place.
  11. "Sick/Warr"? Freudian slip there, eh? :D

I don't think you ever mentioned to me that you were getting a Stick. What didn't you like about your Warr ( er ... my Warr now )?

I'm getting this one tomorrow ( it's at the local UPS hub right now ):

It used to belong to Jim Wright. I really like the Zebrawood Artist you sold me a lot. I've always wanted an uncrossed-fourths-tuned 12-string. I'm definitely going to keep and play both of my Warr's.

Here's my 8-string:

I've never had the opportunity to try a Chapman(R) Stick so I can't really comment on the difference. I think I would prefer a big body that can be played like a bass better than something like the Stick.

Stick Enterprises didn't show up for NAMM in January but Warr did. I got some great pics at:

- Dave
  12. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    No. Look at the big blue banner under the SWR ad up top. SEARCH FOR: Keyword | User | ... etc. Click on "Keyword" and go to town.
  13. hello there I play a Grand Stick ...

if you have questions mail me or check out my hoomepage

c ya Frank:p