Chapman Stick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guitbass, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Guitbass

Guitbass Guest

Jan 22, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Okay so technically it's not a bass or should I say just a bass. I just ordered one from Stick Enterprises. I've been playing an old Ironwood 10 string for a few months and took the plunge for a new 10 string XG. Also got the SP13 preamp. Now to wait until May until they arrive! Any other stickists out there? Anyone know of a place in the Atlanta area to take lessons?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    check out the links at

There should be some forums and email discussion groups that can help you find a teacher.
  3. Check out my buddy used to use a stick and found that the warr guitars are much better in sound and playing ability. He is listed on the artists page with his. (Vega$)
  4. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Hey, uh, he said he already bought another Stick, not that he was looking to get another...

but I second JMX's advice and say go to
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have an unhealthy interest in Sticks, but am forcing myself to avoid them until I master the bass... which should only take another hundred or so years.
  6. I ordered a new one a few weeks ago and I'm waiting for a used one (10-string Ironwood #1410). I've been fascinated by those intruments for the last 10 years... can't wait to put my mitts on one!

If anybody's interested in seeing a great demonstration of the Stick's possibilities, check out this trio of Greg Howard videos... the guy is a monster:
  7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Interestingly, I've found somewhat the opposite to be true, at least in my case. I don't think you'll be dissappointed when the XG arrives.
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's a pretty uncool post.

brad cook
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yup. Same with me. I'm REALLY intrigued by them, but wouldn't have the slightest idea of what to do with one.
  10. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I bought a grand purpleheart Stick when I was living back in Boulder, CO. I used it mainly at jam band gigs and it always drew a crowd...highly irregular for this bassist!

Fun ax....I just wish I had more time to work at it, being out of town all the time. I guess it'll be my retirement project when I'm old and grey!
  11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I had the fortune of seeing him play with the UVa jazz ensemble a couple years ago. And yes he is a monster musician. Come to think of it, there are quite a few very good musicians from Charlottesville for such a small town (Greg Howard, Tim Reynolds, Dave Matthews Band, Earth To Andy to name a few). I need to get out more and check out all the live music (and good food. c'ville has more restaurants per capita than any other city in America).
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I have always been somewhat curious about sticks. I am just learnign to tap two-handed on bass, and it seems liek it could be fun. I saw a guy in a mall once that was playing a stick that had no body, only a tiny leg rest (is this normal). He was pretty good, i regret not picking up one of his $10 cd's...
  13. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    i wish i had more money for such things :meh:
  15. Please, tell me why.:confused:

Did I misrepresent Warr Guitars? I didn't say sticks suck. I just gave some information based on the opinion of a Warr Guitar endorsee that used to use sticks.
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It was uncool because he just started this thread about he has already purchased a stick. This isn't a thread asking for a comparison of the different models of touch style guitars nor is he asking whether or not he should purchase a stick. Whether you meant address the dude or others (which isn't clear in the post) it basically looks like you are saying "Too bad you just bought that Chapman Stick because Warr Guitars are better and you shoulda bought one of those."

brad cook
  17. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup, thats how it sounds.
  18. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Hey Guitbass! I knew this had to be you Matt.. You know who I am right? :) I remembered you telling me about ordering a Chapman Stick so when I saw this thread I knew it had to be you! Good luck on the Stick and Im sure I will love the Zon!

19. Congrats - I've been pondering one of these for a while. It certainly would be a challenge for me, especially on the guitar side, I'd say, since I'm not a very good guitarist.

Last year, I got to see the Tony Levin Band. There was also an opening act called Agent 22 (based in the San Diego area) that did all instrumental music. There was a drummer, a guitarist (playing 2 guitars at once) and a stick player. Good stuff.
  20. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002