chapman sticks and warr guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by evilbob101, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Ive recently looked into these after looking at bass players may issue and hearing about trey gunn, who plays in King Crimson. I then ventured to his site, which led me to the warr guitars site and I also fell over to the stick site.

Needless to say I was floored by these amazing insturments!

Has anyone tried or own one of these? I was wondering what the differences are between the two.

Also, I cant find a price list for the chapman stick on the site, and was wondering how much one would cost.

And, as far as the Warr guitars go, what is the difference between having 5 midi, and 10 midi?

I am becoming rapidly interested in these things, and just wanted some information. It looks like the possiblities are endless!
  2. Tony Levin popularized this insrument with King Crimson and Liquid Tension. Trey Gunn usually plays the Warr guitar when King Crimson does the whole two band thing. If you want to hear the instrument get any King Crimson album. The difference between the two is that the stick is just the stick and the Warr guitar has a bass or guitar body. That's really the big difference. I'm not sure about the midi thing. I have played one. My drummer made one. They are incredibly fun but pretty difficult with the weird tuning. I have no idea where you can get one. The website maybe. Like I said we made ours. They are definately cool as hell though.
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Each instrument's page at has the direct price for it. Hard to miss. . . :)

5/10 MIDI just means whether or not you have one or two MIDI outputs on a 10-string instrument. Each output only handles up to 6 strings (and also each MIDI/V-Guitar unit), so to get all 10 (or 12 on a 12ver) strings requires two pickups, two cables, two processors.

There've been a number of threads on the two instruments here already - try using the search feature to find out some more info.
  4. There are about 50 Stick/Warr threads in the archive. Use the Search, young Skywalker.