Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chapmen Stick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jun 18, 2001.

1. I know that there are the four bass strings but in a 8-string model what are the other string tuned to? i just watch deja VROOM and tony play a mean stick in "elephant talk" :D

2. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I have a Standard 10-string Stick, with the five bass strings tuned in fifths E-A-D-G-C, so that the E string is actually the highest tuned bass string, not the lowest as on a conventional bass. The five melody strings are tuned in fourths like a guitar. The 8-string Stick Bass, which might be what you're referring to, can be tuned a number of different ways. That, in fact, is one of the beauties of the Stick--you can have it tuned to your personal preferences. I'm sure you can have the strings tuned in fourths EADG, or you could tune the first five strings tuned like a five string, with a low B added. Check out the Chapman Stick website, which I believe is stickenterprises.com, and I'm sure Emmett Chapman provides all of the options you could conceivably choose. But if Levin is still playing the Stick he's played for a long time, it's a Standard 10-string, very similar in age and materials (Brazilian Ironwood) to the one I own.