Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Characteristic Tones of Specific Companies

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Because of a lack of quality options with the my local music stores, I may have to do some internet or Ebay shopping for a head and 4x10. Basically, I can't play through a lot of different brands because they aren't around here (Gallien-Krueger, Aguilar, a lot of brands, actually). I was wondering if anyone could give a quick synopsis of the general tonal characteristics of some of the leading companies, specifically the heads, but cabs too if possible (ie company A's heads are hi-fi and mid heavy, company B's heads are warm and full with a clear top end, with cabs having the same characteristics, etc). Thanks ahead of time.

2. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    Welcome to my world. Enter at your own risk.

3. hmm...

I think one person's "low-mid heavy, but smooth tops and lows" is another's "muddy."

So I have some counter-questions:

Who's/what kind of sound are you trying to achieve?

What do you have now?

What don't you like about it?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I know everyone has their own opinions on what sounds like what. That's fine for me; I'd enjoy everyone's individual takes on how certain products sound. But I do believe that there will probably be certain characteristics which most can agree upon about certain products.

I don't want to post what sort of sound I'd like to achieve, because I believe that will bias the information more than a general request for information. If I said I want a warm, clear bottom with an articulate but not tinny top end, EdenDude, SWRockin', and Crate420 might all chime in saying their products of choice will sound like what I want. I purposely asked a more non-specific question so only those who have some more experience would even bother to respond. But if you really want to know the rest, right now I have a 160w Carvin 15in combo, and I don't enjoy the fact that it's a 160w Carvin 15in combo. I haven't needed more up until this point, as I've never had to play in front of more than 20 people, but I'd like to take the time and shop around for a good pro rig.

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    :D
    Very true, you really hit the nail on the head!

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sorry to make the water muddier, but different models within the same name will sound different.

For instance, SWR's are often stereotyped as sounding very "hi fi" and Ampegs are often seen as having lots of "thud." But I've played some large SWR's that were dialed in to give huge, "un-hi-fi" bottom that competed with an SVT, IMO.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ....closes eyes, and puts hand to forehead....

i see.. i see... yes!

i see an Aguilar rig in your future... ;)

but seriously, in my experience, aggie amps have that airy top, but with a muscled tightly engineered low end. i own a DB680 & had a DB359. cabs run the gamut of hifi & muscled ala the GS210 i've used, and warm and thick ala my old GS112.

Eden-wise, i've owned a WT400, and it was warmer, woollier, woofier while the 210XLT cab i've tried was raspy and much more aggressive in the high mids.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    bumpitybump

Anyone?

9. trace elliot = poppy and very hard to get rid of the mids
    peavey = a bit poppy

10. Peavey...midrange heavy.
    SWR....needs lots of eq ing.
    Fender Bassman.....good all round sound.
    GK....needs some eq, but good all round.
    Trace....ditto.
    Ampeg...ditto.
    Hughes & Kettner....like SWR.
    Mesa....like SWR, except 400+, which is a wicked head.
    As we do not have Eden, Aguilar, E.A, in my country, I cannot comment on them. The above comments are based on my own usage, and my access to gear, being as I run the bass dept in a store.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Maybe we can bunch them into categories.

1. Farty companies:

a. Peavey
    b. Carvin
    c. GK
    d. Trace

2. Not quite as farty companies:

a. Ampeg
    b. Mesa
    c. Fender
    d. SWR
    e. Ashdown

3. Not farty at all companies:

a. Eden
    b. Aguilar
    c. EBS
    d. Walter Woods

4. Other not farty companies:

a. Bergantino
    b. EA
    c. Acme

5. Totally farted-out companies:

a. Yorkville
    b. Crate
    c. Rogue

There you have it.

Note to manufacturers: This is a joke. You're all very fine companies with incredibly excellent products.

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I love that disclaimer!! Too funny.:D:D

I don't know how "incredibly excellent" some of those companies' products are though...