Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

characteristics of Bubinga?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darrelpr, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    I've checked the usual sources but I'm not finding a lot of info on the tonal characteristics of bubinga as compared to walnut, maple, etc. Is it supposed to be a "warmer" sounding wood? Is it a harder or softer wood than walnut or maple?

thanks in advance for any help.

darrelpr

2. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I owned an all bubinga Warwick and now a Cirrus with walnut body and bubinga top. Walnut appears softer and is warmer sounding. The bubinga is definitely a harder wood. The walnut body of the Cirrus gives it the tone. The bubinga top would only slightly affect the sound. Both are great tone woods. Bubinga can be heavy depending on the tree.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It's at least in the same hardness/density range as hard maple. More so in both areas than walnut. It's pretty heavy stuff, and extremely strong.

Being such a dense, hard wood, it should be pretty crisp sounding. Fairly similar to hard maple I'd imagine. My bubinga-necked Hanewinckel doesn't sound much different than a maple neck. People associate bubinga with the Warwick sound, but I'd guess that wenge has more to do with that.

4. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    fyi... I'm considering bubinga as the top option for a Modulus Q5. Based on what you and Rickreyn are telling me and given the carbon fiber neck and composite FB, this would be one crisp sounding bass. Hopefully, the barts and NTMB preamp would allow me to dial-in some warmth to the tone.

thanks for the replies.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Darrelpr, I have a Modulus Q6 with a bubinga top, granadilo board and Barts. You can get all the warmth you want! It's beautiful looking, too.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Darrel, like boogiebass said, I think that the bass will have a lot of warmth with the Bart electronics. Are you also considering a wood fingerboard? That should help too.

Angus can probably give you some good input. He has a quilt top Q5 and has played Modulus' with just about every top and pickup combination.

7. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    I've not really considered a wood fb. IMHO, part of that Modulus "mojo" is the composite fingerboard and I like the feel (and stability) of phenolic. If I wanted a wood fb, I'd probably go with the Genesis.

cheers,
    darrelpr

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Genesis and Quantums are completely different instruments. Have you actually played Quantums with both boards to compare them?

9. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    No. I've played a Genesis but I never considered putting a wood fb on a Quantum. All things being equal, would it make that significant a difference in tone?

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It warms them up considerably and the difference will be at least as significant as the choice of wood for the top, IMO. Point being that a warm Quantum is still a Quantum and not all that similar to a Genesis.