Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Characteristics of each band of EQ ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Apr 28, 2004.

1. My amp has a 9 band EQ, and I want to know what are the advantages of boosting or cutting each frequency. Which ones help with warmth? Which help with a low end undertone? Which help make clank and growl? I want to know things like this so I have better knowledge when try to pick up a setting. I already shut my eyes and just listen for what I like, but I want to know the reality of each frequency.

i have:

2. country_boy

country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    I don't know if this is exactly what you want to know but:
    40 Hz E1 (lowest note on standard tuned 4 stringer)
    80 Hz E2 one octave up
    150 Hz Eb3 two octaves up
    300 Hz D4 (19th fret G-string, just above middle C)
    650 Hz Eb5 way higher than my bass goes

These are the bands that going to influence the level of the actual note you play, the higher bands will affect the level of the overtones. I hope this helps you understand whats going on. You're probably just going to have to play around though. Just put them all, all the way down, play a scale or something, and then move one all the way up and play it again, and do it for all bands. I doubt that 2000, 5000, 8000 will have much of an influence. Good luck.
    I have it easy with my amp just tone, volume, and controls for the non-working tremolo. =)

3. so because my bass wont make a frequency as high as 5000k or anything like that, then that band of EQ on my amp isnt really going to have an effect on my tone?

4. country_boy

country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    It will have very little effect, you *might* have some overtones at that range.

5. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Overtones that high are typically negligibly quiet, however you may want that range because it is where many of the metallic sounds (fret noise from slapping, etc) come from. Also, without the higher bands, the sound *may* be muddy, though not always. You really need to play with it all. My suggestion would be to try it flat (everything at 0), and CUT what you DON'T want (as opposed to boosting what you do want). This practice ensures you don't leave "holes" in the sound, and you don't have problems with preamp clipping.

I really suggest being careful with the 40hz slider. Though it is around the E fundamental, you likely won't want much of it. I tend to cut that stuff a bit. You'll risk clipping your amp at low levels if you try to use too much ultra-low stuff, unless you have an extremely powerful power amp.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I understand that Eq can be confusing, but it's much simpler if you break it down.

Everyone has a basic understanding of a basic 3 band EQ that has only got Bass, Mids, and Treble, so lets pretend for a second that's all your amp has got.

I would break your EQ up as follows:-

40, 80, and 150 - Think of thise as your Bass knob.
    300, 650, and 900 - Think of these as your mid knob.
    2k, 5k, and 8k - Think of these as your Treble knob.

Once you understand that, you can see that each of the 3 bands can be broken down further into mini-groups of Low, Mid and Upper:-

40 - Low Bass
    80 - Mid Bass
    150 - Upper bass.

300 - Low Mids
    650 - Mid Mids (he he)
    900 - Upper Mids.

2K- lower Treble
    5K - Mid Highs
    8K - High Highs.

And so on. A 31 band EQ just keeps breaking it down as I have above.