1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Charcoal Frost Metalic vs Jade Pearl Metalic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Vee, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Just thought I would share a pic of my NEW bass (JPM), and old bass (CFM) which will be sold. A lot of people ask about how JPM looks in person so here is a comparison.

JPM comes with a mind green guard, which looks awesome! But I have a tortoise on the way as well as LaBella flats. JPM has a LOT of gold in it. In fact, my dad thought it was gold. A lot of people say it looks really green in person which i do NOT find to be the case at all. It has a really vintage look IMO. It's almost champagne in color.

I really like the CFM / Maple combo - but I wanted a darker more vintage look, as I can only afford to keep one (and am saving for an AV '74 Jazz natural / maple.)

bases_zps2bfa623b.

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Both nice basses, Mike .. for $20 you can become a supporting member and be allowed to advertise your old bass for sale here ..

... oh wait, you just did :)

3. Switch the necks!

SandCBass, Mark_70 and JIO like this.
  4. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    oh that wasn't my intention! i will consider trying to sell it here.

I cannot wait to see the tort guard on! i did some photochops and it looks awesome:

MV_zpsc9ea1e18.

jadefinal_zps2c2aca31.

5. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    If I wasn't going for a tort guard I would. Maple on the JPM looks awesome with the stock mint green.

6. I would love to have a P bass in that color, but I would get it with a maple neck and a black PG.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    You think the Jade Pearl looks darker than the Charcoal Frost? Boy, it sure looks lighter to me! :eek:

MM

8. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    haha no actually the Jade is much lighter BUT with the RW neck and tort guard it's going to look a lot more vintage-y and old school which is what I want. Didn't want to get a 63 AV because of less features and I'm already used to playing the MIA standard.

I had a few basses in my day, and this Jade is the nicest mass produced color i've ever seen. It reminds me of something the custom shop would do, on a Jazz bass with matching headstock and gold hardware :)

9. I almost bought the JPM but decided I liked the CFM better. Mine has the rosewood neck, great bass

10. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Boy, I really like the JPM..............especially with a maple neck.

JIO likes this.
  11. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    It looks awesome with a maple neck for sure. I just wanted rosewood to match the tortoise better. I will post pics when it's done on Monday.

12. I did not like JPM until I saw it dressed in tort. Just looked too plain with wbw or bwb.

Those mockups look great.

13. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    So, I put the tort on and I do not like it at all! It looks cool, but it's not "me" and it doesn't complement the Jade Pearl like I thought it would. It takes it in a whole different direction and vibe that I don't really care for.

You see, JPM has a lot of gold in it. It's subtle, but it really shows when you have the original mint green guard on. You can't even tell the guard is mint green when you see pics. The red tort (red is green's complementary color) makes the bass look really green and makes the guard look really red...and takes away all the class of the JPM's gold metalic.

I think I'm going to go with AGED PEARL and install bridge/pup covers :)

pb1_zpsda336a06.

pb2_zps87d39395.

Smooth_bass88 and JIO like this.
  14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I've always preferred the mint p/g on the Jade Pearls. Especially with a maple board, but even with the rosewood.

grrg63 likes this.
  15. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
  16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Since you put a RW neck on it, what about putting an anodized PG? I'm not sure if it is the right color or not, but it is gold-ish.

17. The Charcoal Frost Metallic looks unbelievable with a black PG imo. Both look sweet though!

18. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    I have def considered the gold pickguard. That's what I will try if I do not loike the aged pearl.

This is REALLY rough (no photoshop on this computer) but this is the look im going for now:

Aged pearl with pup and bridge covers:

rw_zpsadef6f3f.

Now THAT is elegant. I could see myself playing it in a huge field of pot plants lol.

19. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    or ?????

maple_zps3dfadea6.

20. MidnightRadio

MidnightRadio

Sep 20, 2012
    Knoxville
    Yeah- I have the CFM with a RW neck and I put a black PG on it with black PG screws and it looks slick. Here is a crappy cell pic of it before I put the black PG screws in.

Attached Files: