1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Charcoal frost Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ExD, Jun 3, 2007.

1. ExD

ExD

Mar 8, 2007
    Australia
    There was a loaded Fender P-Bass body (with DiMarzio P and J pickups, and a BadAss II Bridge) on eBay a while back, and the guy said the color was 'charcoal frost'.

When did Fender manufacture 'charcoal frost' Precision basses, and was it with a P/J pickup combination? The color is sort of a dark silver.

2. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    If I had to guess, I'm thinking he may be wrong on the specific color. Charcoal frost was a mid 60s color, and has shown up on reissue guitars from time to time (you can get it on the relic strat) but I'm not sure if it is has been a "standard" color available on the P since the 60s. That said, It may well be a metallic gray that is pretty dardn close to charcoal frost. There is just lots of ambiguity in fender color descriptions, and AFAIK, they don't mark them anywhere with what they are to avoid the confusion down the road.

3. ExD

ExD

Mar 8, 2007
    Australia
    I just checked the Fender website, think it might have been Pewter. Whatever color it was, it was a damn sexy body, it had a really nice looking pickguard on it too. Don't think anyone bought it

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Fender did due a Charcoal Mist back in the mid-60's.

Very rare fender color.

I only seen onre in person.

5. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    The only one I've seen in person was a relic strat, and it was one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen. I'm thinking my next warmoth will be a Charcoal Frost P with a J neck. I found a place that does custom spray cans of acrylic lacquer, so it should be pretty close to the real deal with a nitro top coat (from what I could find, CF was never nitro anyway)

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021