Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

......Chargers ..... who?????

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Dec 19, 2005.

1. yeah, all you haters... my SD boys WHUPPED Indy this weekend. I know, i'm happy now, the season ain't over....... :spit:

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The biggest fans always show up after a victory, but are nowhere to be found after a loss. Homer.

3. ha!!! nice one... i was one of the 200 or so charger fans that watched Ryan Leaf beat the Chiefs at home during our 1-15 season....

You gotta remember this is SD. ANY team that reaches a .500 record had a winning season.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Oh ok. :D I was just ragging you anyway. I've just never seen you post in any of the fooseball threads.

You beat us badly, fair and square. I hope you guys make it to postseason to give the Colts a second chance.

Peace,
    Adam

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    you beat the Colts....

but according to the math, Pittsburg has the Wildcard...

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I'm glad the Chargers beat em. They seem to have taken over as the So. Cali team.

I can't say that I'm a "Chargers Fan" but I was as the game on the 11th and noticed something that seems to haunt every So. Cal football team...past & present. There were thousands of Miami fans there. I went to Qualcom expecting a sea of Brees and Tomlison jerseys and yes they were there but there were thousands of Miami fans too. The majority of them wearing Marino jerseys. That made me laugh. How long has Marino been retired? They are still hanging on to that guy. I kept looking for someone to pull out the Dan Fouts or Stan Humphries rags. I did see a couple of Natrone Means jerseys though. Still funny.

Being a Rams fan I always experienced this in Anaheim but it seems to be a plague that effects all So. Cal teams. There just isn't enough loyal fans here. You would never see that in Chicago, Green Bay, Cleveland or Boston. It's really to bad for the real Chargers fans.

7. HELLO?????? they are the ONLY SoCal team....

".....the lakers moved to LA where there are no lakes. The raiders moved from Oakland to LA and back to Oakland.... No one in LA seemed to notice...."

guess the flick that was from.... :D

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I disagree.. I think SoCal fans are just as loyal, But the problem, especially for football, is the cost of living. I think most of us would agree that hardcore sportsfans are 'working class' folks.

Living in Redlands, you know the cost of living is not exactly reasonable. Factor in the cost of transportation in that area, and it just compounds the problem. If your family is barely surviving, how can you afford to pay $2-300 for your family of 4 to go see a football game? Games don't sell out, and thus you don't get TV revenue either 'cause of blackouts. I have no idea why more of the rich and wealthy in SoCal aren't behind their teams, either. wealthier fans stay away as the stadiums enp up in some of the more... colorful neighborhoods in town.

We see the same issue in Oakland. The Raider nation is one of the most rabid set of fans in the country, and yet they rarely, if ever, sell out. Even the year they made the superbowl run.

It's the problem when you have to pay for your team based off of the revenue from 8 home games, as opposed to 41 (Basketball and Hockey) or 84 (baseball). Football also has the highest roster, as well as more coaches, and team support.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This is indeed true.......In case you have forgotten Rev, the Steelers came to San Diego and went home winners. LT was shut down with a mere 62 yards, which is really low for him. The Steeler defense showed you west coast boys a thing or two about how to play defense, and smashmouth football. Maybe next time.

Until then, best wishes trying to get into the playoffs, hope to see you there. :)

-Mike

10. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Actually, I took a second look. There is a chance, albeit, it's the tough road. Theyc an't beat Pittsburg, but they can take the AFC west, but winning the rest of their games.

Next week, they play KC in KC. on Jan 1, they play Denver at home.

If SD wins the the last 2 games, they'll be 1-1 with Denver, but have the better divisional record. (SD would be 5-1, Denver 4-2). Denver would still make the playoffs as a wild card, likely eeking Pittsburg from the playoffs, since Cincy has already clinched the AFC North. I don't know between Jacksonville or Pittsburg who has the tie-breakers. I'd guess if Jacksonville lost both their remaining games (ending 10-6) and Pittsburg won theirs (ending 11-5), they'd take the last wild-card spot.

oooh... AFC is shaping up for a fun 2 weeks!!!!

Edit: oops... this is the Charger's thread *L* i'll keep it on point.

11. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    You make a valid point on the cost of living and the cost of taking a family of four to a football game. But the point I really meant to make is the fact that in So. Cal there are so many transplants from other states that the games are fllooded with fans from the opposing team. I used Miami as an example. There must have been 5,000 of them. The whole section behind us were all Dolphin fans.

Now the wealthier people in So. Cal do show up to the games when the team is doing well. But when the Rams weren't doing well 90-94 they all became Giants fans or Bronco Fans or whatever. I'm saying a large part of them are "fair weather" fans. Many of them only came to Rams games when thier home team was in town or if Joe Montana was playing in town. Sort of like what I was seeing in San Diego.

I would be willing to bet that if San Diego was 13-0 they would have allbeen Charger fans. It's just the way of the So. Cal fan. No. Cal maybe is different. The Niner fans seem to be pretty loyal.

I'm now seeing Clippers jerseys around town. See what I mean? Two years ago you would had been laughed out of the sports bar for wearing a Clippers jersey. Now it's cool because the Lakers aren't very good right now. They aren't nearly as bad as the Clippers have been for years but they aren't winning like they used to so now So. Cal is going to be Clippers fans. I have lived here all my life and I have seen this before.

12. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I getcha... and the NFL wonders why the market won't support a team?

13. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    ahem.....Pittsburg is in Kansas, and the only football team there plays for the high school.

Pittsburgh, the one with the Steelers, has an 'H'. Every time. The H is silent.

And you don't ever refer to it as Pitt. (Are you listening, Michael Irvin?) Pitt is a University (allegedly).

Carry on! ;)

14. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Abark, shame on you! :scowl: Its not like the Colts got blown out.

Call me a homer (even though I live in AZ) but the Colts could have won that game. SD came out fired up to keep their playoff hopes alive and the Colts had already clinched everything. Other than a perfect season, they really had nothing to fight for. The Chargers in no way shape or form got the Colts "A" game.
    Not very likely that SD will make the playoffs. I don't see Denver losing at Oakland.

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

baseketball?

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Tis true, but oh well. More demoralizing than anything; a loss, at home, by more than a TD.

I look at it like you do. Winable, but ultimately not necessary in the SB scheme.

I ready for the postseason matchups to be announced.

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Or KC losing at home in December...

18. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yep.

19. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User