Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Hi guys

Just wondering if any of you guys have ever played charity gigs and if so, who for and are you actually supporters of the cause or do you just play out of empathy?
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Charity gigs are a good thing, but I've found one problem with them. If you do one, all of a sudden, you are expected to do ALOT of them. Every charity in the area will call you to do a freebie once they see your name on another charities flier. I tend to stay away from them, unless it is something I really believe in.
    I don't mean to be selfish, and once in a while would be OK, but it DOES cost money to haul gear, use up your entire evening, etc, when the same time could have often been used on a paying gig.
  3. Agreed, Cheez.

We did a show for Make A Wish, which is a childhood cancer charity and we really do support that. We later did a show for Oxfam, which is a personal thing for me - I am passionate about their work.

Later we got asked to do a show for RSPCA (animal cruelty) and a benefit for homeless people. I reneged on both of these because I felt we were being asked to support charities that we really didn't involve ourselves with.

It's hard to say no, though, huh?
  4. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Here's another point of view. My steady gig IS for a charity, as I play for weekly praise services at church. The only time the band gets paid is when we 'play out' - which is generally for a church conference or youth rally or something similar (maybe once every couple of months). Even then, the cash goes for band equipment - no one is paid.

Ya gotta just love to play :bassist:
  5. A couple years ago there was a serious auto accident outside of our town, and about four high school kids were killed. We did the benefit show that was held a couple months later to raise money for the families. It was a nice thing to do, but I wouldn't want to do that all the time.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I've seen a lot of these "charity shows" where things aren't really organized well, so I tend to be leary of that sort of thing.
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

One shouldn't feel bad about being selective when deciding to play charity causes. Our band has done them, and will probably do more.

Take them on a case by case basis.