1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Charity and football - better ask permission first?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by stevetx19, Oct 23, 2010.

1. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    Has the whole world gone crazy?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/...ace-ban-for-charity-pin?urn=highschool-279246

...he has little choice but to discipline officials who used colored whistles. He claims that letting them continue without punishment would send the wrong message to student athletes.

"They chose not to ask for permission, not to go the right route," Stordahl told KING 5. "It sends the wrong message to kids that are playing the game. 'If they broke the rules why can't I do the same.'"

2. daystcity

daystcity

Mar 23, 2008
    Where am I?!?!?
    yes

3. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Wait, so we want people to be charitable and help each other out, then we punish them when they do so. Perfect.

4. Sadly, I've come to expect this kind of crap.

5. No good deed goes unpunished.

6. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Ugh, brain hurts. Hopefully, someone close to this Stordahl fellow is telling him what a bonehead he is.

7. Swell - people, who know squat about reffing, making decisions about refs.

No harm - no foul. The pink whistles had zero game impact, so no punishment. If you're really unhappy about a minor infraction, with no game impact: issue a stern warning.

The article omits detail, but apparently the ref's dress code, doesn't even cover whistle color. Again, no call. If it ain't clearly against the rules: no call. The sport I ref, roller derby, just strongly recommends a Fox 40 whistle, no mention of color.

Sending the wrong message to players. If you punish a trivial, no game impact infraction, you send the message that you're pompous prats, getting in the way of the game.

8. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas

whoa....fox 40? A bit loud for indoor use, don't you think?

9. Yeah, it can be brutal. in the echoie mess of the county fair, hanger we were in last night, it was especially bad. Still, you gotta get the derby girls attention somehow.