Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Charity gig..I feel weird

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Murf, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi guys/gals,
    well, that was a right kick in the pants...I was recently booked to do a charity gig where I was told in advance by the musical director that because it was charity the money wasnt great and I'd only get "x" amount for the gig..I had no problem with that cos it was for charity.

So, I do the gig and at the end the organiser comes up to me with a cheque book and thanks me for the job I'd done and asks what I'm owed, so, I tell her the figure the MD told me...no problem she wrote out the cheque and that was that....later I found out the other session guys waived their fee because they knew the people involved and did the gig as a favour.

Now I feel terrible :(

even though as the MD put it.." you didnt know the people involved and I hired you to do a job so you have to get paid"

This SUCKS!! cos it now looks like I'm a "bread head" only interested in money..

Anyone else ever experience this?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Contact the organizer, explain the situation, and donate it back. I'm sure they'd be grateful.

3. ^^^I agree. I'm sure they would appreciate the gesture.

4. I've gotten paid for sound work at charity gigs before...At first I felt weird too, but then someone explained it this way...See the caterers for the event? They're getting paid. See the hotel where the gig is? They're getting paid.

Go over to the Goodwill store, the workers are getting paid. Look at the United Way organization or the Red Cross, sure there's volunteers, but the staff gets paid.

Charity events always have expenses to pay, it's very seldom *all* of the costs for a charity event were donated. Your work is part of the charity's expenses. If you want to fo this for free, go for it, but if your work helps the event raise lots of cash, don't feel guilty about getting paid, IMHO.

5. The group I play in just did a gig that is a usual booking each month, but the organizer decided that anything taken at the door for this particular date, would be donated for the relief of the hurricane. All of a sudden, there were emails back from band members that they would, also, donate their pay that day, also. I felt bad, since I and my wife have already given, and I couldn't afford to give up the gig pay, that I couldn't respond in kind. It's times like that, that I wish people would just respond to the emailer, instead of replying "all". Puts everyone else in a position to respond.

I kept my pay, since, like I said, we've already given through other channels to the relief, but it still felt weird, since my other band-mates gave their pay from the gig for this. Makes me feel like I have to explain myself, when there's no explaination necessary, nor is it any of their business.

Sometimes life sucks, even when it's not your fault!

If you're comfortable with yourself and your actions, then don't worry about what the others did. It's not their business. You were hired, for whatever the reason, (subbing for a missing player, etc.), and deserve the pay. There was no other arrangement for you to consider. The others are a totally different "contract".