Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Charles Biddle, RIP

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by hitman9696, Feb 5, 2003.

1. I just want to inform everyone that Charles Biddle, a huge pionner of Jazz here in Montreal and a great double-bass player, has passed away at the age of 76.

During the years, I heard a lot of great things about the man and his music, and I regret to say that I never had the chance to see him live. The worst part is that his restaurent/jazz club is located in the same building where I work!! It's called "Biddle's", and for anyone who has seen the movie "The Whole Nine Yards" with Bruce Willis and Matthew Perry, you will remember that he makes an apperence when the setting moves to his restaurent.

If anyone ever had the privilege of seeing him live or listening to his music, I would really love to read your comments. He was always a big attraction at the Montreal International Jazz Festival.

Thank you for your time.

2. Charlie had been sick for a while. Although he wouldn't be considered a virtuoso, he was a solid player with a deep groove. Charlie wanted to play music that made people feel good and he swung like a MF. Charlie didn't own Biddles. The owner recently canned his band (after years and years) as Charlie had been sick for so long. I play with his drummer Wali occasionaly. All very tragic.