1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD CHARLES COTE Continuum 5-String - Ash/Flame Maple, Ken Smith Pickups/Pre - Rare

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jtlee, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    TRADED!
    The sell off continues. Here's an early example of Charles Cote's early work (before he switched over to Kent Armstrong electronics). Amazing tone, one of the best necks I've ever played (very straight, very low action), balances perfectly when standing and sitting (no hands!), very quiet electronics (cavity is beautifully shielded). The bass is a bit heavy due to the thick slab of northern ash, but since it balances so well, you hardly feel it (especially with a comfort strap).

The bass is in very good condition with just some minor scuffing in the usual spots (above the pickup, slap zone, lower bout, back area). No deep buckle rash or major dings/dents (a sand/oil would get rid of all the wear spots). The only really noticeable things on the bass are the three small screw holes where a MIDI pickup was mounted (original Roland GK, I believe). I meant to get myself a MIDI pickup to utilize the holes, but never got around to it. You could always dowel/stain the holes if they bug you, but I never cared since the bass played so well. Neck is in beautiful condition and frets are in excellent shape with just minor play wear (no grooves/flat spots). Specs:

Body: Heavy Northern Ash w/Flame Maple Top
    Finish: Natural Oil Finish
    Neck: Maple
    Scale: 34"
    Frets: 24
    Fingerboard: Rosewood (super thick slab!)
    Pickups: Ken Smith Soapbars
    Preamp: Ken Smith
    Controls: Master Volume/Blend, Stacked Bass/Treble (push/pull preamp bypass on Master)
    Misc: Ken Smith Bridge
    Weight: 10.8 lbs

These sold new for around $2500 back in the mid 90's, so imagine what they'd for now! Asking $800 shipped in the US. International shipping is fine, just PM for quote. PayPal preferred. Trade offers are welcome, but would prefer to sell. Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    Guys,
    I was the original owner of this bass back in 97, perhaps 98. I got it from Chuck Cote at winter NAMM...this thing SMOKES!!!! I wish someone hadn't put screwholes in it....
    It really is worth twice this as a player. Just an AMAZING bass (and I've owned my share of killin' basses!)

Someone snap this up quick, before I lose my composure!

3. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    That's awesome...thanks for the info!
    I wish the screwholes weren't there too, but after you play the bass, you just stop caring about them.

You heard the man...buy me! :)

4. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    Bump for the absolute best bass deal here on the board. This bass is one of the best players I ever laid hands on. For the love of all things righteous, someone buy this! You will be SO lit once you get it!

By the way...I have NO connection to the seller...this used to be my bass....just a sick, sick instrument.
    Ad good as it gets, folks. No BS.

5. ivlucas

ivlucas Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Thomasville, GA
    Yes, Im on the fence, I need to sell a couple of things however

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.