Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Charles Mingus' double bass with the dragon headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by fadlan bassman, Sep 23, 2002.

1. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    This was posted in another thread. Are there any pictures that I could see? I did a search and could not find any other mention of it here in TB.

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Just find as many pictures of mingus as possible you will eventually find one with that bass.

The bass is allso used by the bassist's in the current mingus big band.

AJ

3. You could also search on Pollmann.
    They are the bass company.
    I think it is a Lion head not a dragon.

I could be wrong but I think I am pretty close.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    This should be down in the DB territory.

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    sorry man..i just looked around the web for over half an hour because i kind of wanted to see it too but no luck :(

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I look I could not find a clear enough picture on the net
    I dont own a copier sorry.

AJ

7. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    i have a big poster hanging over my bed, showing mingus and his bass...and its a lion headstock...
    so hope it helps...
    but try to find some poster sellers on the net, maybe they have this picture!

grusze sebastian

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Is it this one :

[​IMG]

9. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    ...ähmm this one!

10. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The lion's head bass that Mingus was playing in the picture above was destroyed. Mingus got upset about something in a club and destroyed the bass.

Chuck

11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Just for the record, Mingus is THE MAN!

..and I thought it was a dragon too?

12. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Whats Being Played by the bassist's in the mingus big band ?

AJ

13. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    When I saw them in July, Andy McKee was playing the lion's head bass, and Ronnie Cuber told me that was Mingus' bass. Sue Mingus also made some sort of statement to that effect.

Monte

14. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    It is (or maybe was) a Dragon's head and not a lion's head. I was told by my very knowlegable mentor that Mingus broke the bass into pieces after getting pissed at a club owner. Perhaps that is not accurate if the bass is still being played!

I sincerely hope that bass is still around. I first saw that picture of Charles playing that bass about 40 years ago and was taken by the beauty of the bass and the obvious intensity of Mingus, the bassist.

I have a friend who has a very old English violin that has a bearded man's head for a scroll. A wonderful old fiddle.

Chuck

15. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Cool, it is kind of hard to see but thanks for the pics and the info. And Mingus is the Man.

16. While I agree that Mingus was great I think we should take the time to explore his biggest challenger at the time Oscar Pettiford.

17. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    http://www.harlem.org/people/pettiford.html#

18. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    listened again to "Ah Um" last nite... Chowlie IS the man, indeed, and Dannie Richmond's a monster too.

19. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Challenger? As a player, maybe. But Mingus was much more than that. It's as a composer and leader that he really made his mark.

20. Actually, Pettiford was a great composer in his own right. I think if he had lived through the sixties, when jazz was becoming more explorative, he might have had a more lasting impact on composing. Although I doubt he would have had the same impact as Mingus.