1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Charles Mingus on all the things you are 1955 rare lp

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by SteSte, Jul 7, 2018.

1. SteSte

SteSte

Mar 28, 2017
    Rome, Italy

2. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Wow, I didn't know he could play like this... I knew he was serious, but this is kinda different from what I've ever heard from him.

Thanks,

D.

SteSte likes this.
  3. SteSte

SteSte

Mar 28, 2017
    Rome, Italy
    You are welcome.
    Mingus was like the vaso di pandora, he had lot of beauty to spread, as composer, as musician, as beautiful thinker, as activist.
    He was one of the first to play extended techniques in double bass and he had never compromised the original double bass sound, gut strings.
    He had european classical training and he was playing Stravinskij in the 30’s when nobody was doing that in america.
    Navigating all kind of music and moving inside what we call ‘jazz’, afro american improvised classic music.
    Great man.
    My life is really better thank to him and persons like him, he pushed to spread high concepts and freedom.
    Happy that you enjoy.
    Ciao
    Stefano

jmlee and craigie like this.
  4. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    One of my heros, and I agree with you, but I gotta say I saw him live a bunch in the early 70s, and every time I did he was using steel strings (Spiro Reds) and a Polytone pickup. Those bands with Bluett and George Adams got pretty loud.

dhm likes this.
  5. SteSte

SteSte

Mar 28, 2017
    Rome, Italy
    Yes yes he was using metal strings with ‘gut strings technique’, always one finger of the right hand, you know this approach come from the gut heritage and provide more ‘gut oriented sound’ also w metal.
    I never see him unfortunately, i seen the rest of the band but never with him.
    How high they was!
    Ciao thanks

dhm, jmlee and lurk like this.