Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Charles Mingus

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In a related thread there is a little discussion going on about greatest american composer where a TB member stated the bela fleck was the greatest and ive come back saying...well he is good but there are other composers *Cough George Clinton cough cough* who i think deserve that title/respect a bit more and so forth :D

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1375068#post1375068

But in my statement i quoted Charles Mingus and im not sure if he is american or not.....so can anyone answer my question to wherever he is american or not?

Cheers

Heath

2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

definitely american.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I hope Charles Ives was mentioned as a *great* American composer.

And geez...of course, Mingus was born in the US.

4. well jim...here in australia theres not much jazz resources...ive had a hard enough time trying to find any mingus recordings.....ive found a few posters though and theyre laminated and on my wall :D ....i haven't found any stanley clarke either...i had to get 1,2 to the bass imported from canada...which took 3 months to get here :( ....

but i said mingus was great...up there with george clinton

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Mingus was born in Nogales, Az and raised in the Watts section of Los Angeles. He passed away in Mexico after a battle with Lou Gerhig's disease.

He never did anything halfway. All or nothing with him. Spoke his mind. We need more musicians like him.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well....we all have this little thing called the internet and you can put words into things called search engines.....:meh:

So - put "Charles Mingus" into Google and you will find vast amounts of information!!

Look on Amazon.com and search for "Mingus" and get details of hundreds of recordings - even sound samples!!

It's all there, if you can be bothered to look?

7. no need for sarcasm, some of us have full time jobs

8. basslife

basslife

Mar 23, 2004
    vegas
    Dave wrote, "We need more musicians like him." I couldn't agree more.

9. basslife

basslife

Mar 23, 2004
    vegas
    Ellington, one of the greatest composers of the 20th century, was idolized by Mingus, first for his compositional and arranging skills, but also perhaps for Ellington's diplomatic refinement-a trait of which Mingus was not known to have in abundance.

10. basslife

basslife

Mar 23, 2004
    vegas
    Wil, Have you ever run across any articles or interviews that mentioned Frank's views about The Duke or Mingus, or what Duke or Mingus thought of Frank? My opinion, it's a moot point and they may have seen that way as well. (speculative)

11. Check out Peter Lavezzoli's book "The King of All, Sir Duke Ellington and the Artistic Revolution"

- Wil

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But it's just not true to say that in Australia : "theres not much jazz resources" - no matter where you live, it takes 30 seconds to type in Google and find the official Mingus site which will tell you anything you need to know.

How long did it take you to go to TB and type in this thread? :meh:

13. basslife

basslife

Mar 23, 2004
    vegas
    Mingus: "Beneath The Underdog" no reference to Frank, but Duke?

14. Day jobs or not, most of us have the time to do a little research before coming into the threads...especially someone as common, compelling and as colorful as Mingus. Wondering if Mingus was American or not really shows a lack of reasearch no matter where you live.

15. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    ya just can't win huh? i'll stay outta this one. good luck bro...

16. well when you have a job a strenuous as mine, you really cant be bothered, digging trenches, climbing in roof spaces becoming dripping wet in sweat and covered in insulation, moving and installing phone systems, crawling under houses, the last house i had to get under i had to kill 40 red back spiders, hauling cable through pits in the street....not to mention having to get up at 5am and getting home at about 4-5pm or even later, i worked 20 hours one day and still worked the next day....so if you think thats nothing BLOW ME!

thats all ive got to say, im sorry im dumb and decided to ask some 'Friendly' people in here for some information, of course some people answered me with some respect, but as always someone had to be sarcastic and say "derrr, you're dumb, look it up yourself, Derrrr"

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey Score bars are better,

Cry us a river, you think you're the only working stiff on this planet... like always, I was up at 4:30am, drove 1/2 an hour tothe train just to ride for another 45 minutes so I could put in my 9 hour day just to do it over again the next day... oh did I mention the 20 minute walk to and from the station tothe office :rolleyes:

I'm too busy to deal with lazy people!

sorry Chris, delete this post when you clean up the thread if you'd like :meh:

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Oh, that's lovely. :rolleyes: You don't mind busting your @$$ digging ditches, killing bugs in roofspaces, etc., but a google search is too much trouble? Uh-huh.

Thread closed. Don't try a repeat performance - I can personally promise you it wouldn't go well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.