Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Charles Wright Trio

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Oct 19, 2000.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Thought I'd throw out an unsolicited plug for a local DC band. Mike Pryor is the bassist. Here's the link, check out the concert footage.

http://www.killerfusion.com

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...thanks, Brad; cool playing( I've seen Mike Pryor's name somewhere...?).

Ever hear the Wayne Krantz Trio?

3. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Yeah. I also like Wayne Johnson's trio (with Jimmy Johnson). I guess my favorite might be Steve Khan's trio (quartet?) with AJ.

I'm not really into balls to the wall fusion much anymore but I was impressed that someone local actually took the time to learn tunes by Lost Tribe, etc. and actually play them locally. That doesn't happen often in the DC metro area.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yeah, I hear you. Doin' that sorta stuff around here wouldn't fly...at all!
    Have I asked you about Larry Bright(drummer) or Carl Filipiak(guitar)? I think they're in the Baltimore area doin' Funk/Fusion/Rock/Latin yadda.

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Yeah, that's some more local talent. Also, Jerry Gordon is a Wes Montgomery/George Benson-esque guitarist. There's no shortage of talent here, just business sense ;)

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Brad-
    ...just received an update from Audiophile Imports; they have The Charles Wright Trio's THE TIME IS WRIGHT. Whaddayathink? Worth checkin' out?

Lost Tribe guitarist David Gilmore also has a cd listed(RITUALISM; it's a domestic release, too).
    (Whatever happened to The Watts 103rd St. Band?).

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'll see what I can find out about the new CD. I know Mike but have never met Charles. What's the price? I did check out the sample cuts on the website.

As far as "Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band":D, I heard they got back together (seems like every Funk group I grew up listening to has...where's Mandrill?). Al McKay was originally in this band before EWF.

We also have a local keyboardist named Benji Porecki, this guy tears up a B3.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Brad-
    The Charles Wright disc is $12.99(pretty cheap for AI's usual products).
    ...what are you doin' up so early(late?)on Christmas morn?