1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Charlie Brown Christmas

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by wkbryan, Dec 6, 2018.

1. I watched Charlie Brown Christmas tonight and noticed that Pigpen plays the bass. It got me wondering...

2. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    As James Jamerson said “the dirt keeps the funk”

Leo Smith, DrayMiles and wkbryan like this.
  3. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Hmmm, I heard a SBB jazz combo play 'Christmas Time Is Here" at Disneyland this last weekend. It sounded great! The bass tonality was provided by a tuba. I didn't see PigPen anywhere.

4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I do have to wonder if Pig Pen is a bluegrass jazz crossover. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

5. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    In others news, what do ya'll do when someone wants to play Linus and Lucy on a gig? I feel like the bass should just sit out until the latin/swing sections, wondering if that is the norm. Or if folks just wish not to play it at all, lol.

Tom Lane likes this.
  6. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    On the recording the bass plays arco whole notes while Vince Guaraldi plays that ostinato part with his left hand, similar to what happens on his hit “Cast You Fate To The Wind”. That’s what I do if I am playing double bass, but if I am playing electric I might try to double that piano part.

- Steve

Leo Smith, Seanto and Tom Lane like this.
  7. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    We played a slightly swung version of Linus and Lucy at a concert last weekend with a vocal jazz quintet. I took the ostinato part solo on double bass with the pianist under strict orders not to double me. Piano and sax played the melody together until the shots where the piano does its thing. Hard latin bridge. Very cool effect. Also played Christmas Time Is Here with the big band at a couple of shows. Guess I’m Pigpen in this particular Charlie Brown Christmas.

Seanto likes this.
  8. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Wow, i had no clue! Thanks for the tip.

Leo Smith likes this.
  9. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    I haven't seen the show for many years but isn't Pigpen a south paw? ... And the real funny thing abiut this is, the musicians/artists in Charlie Brown are the odd balls of the group. ... If Schulz was alive we'd ask him that question.