1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Charlie Haden: Jazz Master

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by iiipopes, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    The photo in your link says it all for me. Charlie communicates the music on a deep level in spite of technical limitations. Just look at his left hand and his facial expression. He can say more with less than anybody.

2. Autbra

Autbra Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Nashville Tn
    Mike Lull, Mesa Boogie, D'addario Strings endorser
    His new record with the late Hank Jones is proof that he can say a lot with just a little. I can't stop listening to Come Sunday.

3. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    You might also enjoy the "Steal Away" album Hank and Charlie made together. Technical limitations......I think if you ever stand on the bandstand with Charlie, you will become very aware of your own!:)

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Charlie has the perfect technique for playing what he wants and getting his sound. It doesn't seem to limit him at all. Check out Blues For Pat from Joshua Redman's Wish. When he wants to, Charlie can show his chops but he's known for his melodic style playing ballads. There's nobody like him.

5. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    The praises and criticisms are all pretty accurate with this guy! He can be amazing, but there are as many examples where needed the extra technique.

I will say there is something special in his most recent work, the duo with Jarrett, the quartet with Konitz and Motian.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    If you haven't heard it yet.. "Steal Away" is a nice one also.
    Same kind of thing, just done a little earlier.

7. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Yeah, not bad for a guy who suffered polio.

8. After years of listening to everyone. Will always be one of my favorites.