1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Charlie Haden String rabbit hole

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Matt Ides, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have always loved this performance and the combining the two tracks. I am putting it hear because it looks like Charlie is playing metal wound G and D strings. Anybody have any info if he went through a period where he didn’t play guts. Are my ears and eyes playing a trick on me?

Any Weill fans should def check out the sextet Orchestra USA.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    That’s his Normal setup. Spiro E A and golden spiral D and G.

dhm likes this.
  3. Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Richard Davis is the bassist on the Sextet Orchestra USA LP.

4. Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks Sam. It might be the video quality but the D and G looked thin to me. Love the tune and his interpretation.

5. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    There’s a close up at the end and you can see by him plucking that the D and G look looser than the E and A. Also golden spirals did look kind of clear so it’s hard to tell

6. As far as I understand, Charlie Haden pretty much always had at least a gut D and G throughout his career and was pretty adamant about using them. Golden Spirals were his gut strings of choice and he paired them with Spirocore Mittels on E and A. The Golden Spirals were varnished. They are now no longer made unfortunately. I've heard that used ones sometimes pop up on Ebay and here on the classifieds. So my teacher in college, Darek Oles, was a student of Haden's and him and a few other bassists I know who studied with him adopted the Spiro E A and Gut D G combo. Darek has used Damian Dlugolecki's strings for his D and G since Golden Spirals went out of production. If you're interested in trying out that setup, Dlugolecki might be the place to start. As I understand he's on a brief hiatus this winter and will continue making strings around the spring. Otherwise Velvet Animas might or Innovation Golden Slaps on D and G (Darek uses the Innovations on his bass he keeps at school) would be a good non-gut substitute. Here's what the Spiro and Dlugolecki combo sounds like.

7. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

Charlie's Golden Spirals were gut wrapped in Tynex, a nylon wrap.

dhm, Sam Dingle and Sean Riddle like this.
  8. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Huge fan of his....imo it's a combo of his fat right hand and weird left hand style that makes most of his sound.

Good luck with the string searxg

9. Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Right now I have Evah Slaps E and A and La Bella plain gut G and D. Will give this a go for a while to see if I like it.

tito mangialajo likes this.
  10. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    Let us know...thanks. I play a whole set of Gamut (gut) but I'm planning to change E and A. Evah slap, Evah, Eudoxa (very much expensive...)... Now, because my Gamut A has problem in wound, I put just for play at home and rehersal (I don't have concerts until the next week) A and E Spyro Mittel that Barre Phillips has gave to me... But I think this not the best option.

11. Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I do like the set up and the Evah Slaps are a good match with guts since they have gut like qualities. On my other bass I have gone back to Spiros and for my needs they are more functional so doubt I will stay with this string set up. If I could justify two basses I would love to have one with this set up. Something really special with Gut G and D.

Surprisingly I can pull a good sound with the bow and I am not a great arco player.

tito mangialajo likes this.