1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Charlie Haden -- Time/Life

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by brianrost, Jan 7, 2017.

1. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Listening to it now, just arrived in the mail. I only found out about this album a few days ago because it was listed in the 2016 Jazz Times Critic's Choice list.

(rant follows)

Amazingly, JT has not bothered to review it yet nor had I seen any ads for it in that magazine's past issues although it suposedly came out in early November. Trying to keep track of new albums seems harder than ever in this Internet age...do I really have to spend all day surfing the web to find out what is coming out?

More mind-boggling was the fact that this is actually an import...apparently Impulse is now part of Universal Music's European subsidiiary, maybe they are pressing all of the jazz (Verve, ECM, etc.) for Universal now? According to the cover, it was pressed in Germany and the snail-mail address for the label is in the Netherlands.

(end of rant)

Oh yeah, the music. Two live tracks recorded for Belgian radio bookend the album (one is an arrangement of "Blue in Green"), then there are three tracks composed by Carla Bley and recorded by the LMO with Steve Swallow in the bass chair. One is "Útviklingssang" perhaps my all time favorite Carla tune, a simple, somber melody with shifting harmonies and bass line as it repeats. The final track is a live version of "Song For The Whales" where Charlie plays arco, imitating humpack whale singing, a gentle reminder of how adventurous he could still be.

It is strange hearing the LMO without Charlie himself on bass and I suppose this will be the end of this band, especially with Carla now turned 80. If you are a fan of either Charlie or Carla, I strongly recommend this one.

Seanto, LeeNunn, smperry and 5 others like this.
  2. Sean Riddle

Sean Riddle Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Ventura, California
    It's a really wonderful album. Hearing Charlie on those two tracks is wonderful, but I feel like Carla really shines as a composer and arranger on this. Steve Swallow was Charlie's choice for his replacement and he really plays beautifully on this album.
    I think the reason why there hasn't been a lot of coverage about this is because it's political music. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm only 20), but it seems like only The Ballad of the Fallen and Dream Keeper were the only LMO albums that received a lot of press and notoriety.
    Carla is doing tours with the band. Scott Colley has played some of the shows and my teacher Darek Oles has played a couple recently. There is a LMO concert happening on the 10th at the NYC WinterJazFest. Gerri Allen is playing piano and Darek Oles is playing bass.
    Overall, the album is amazing but extremely haunting.

dhm and Jason Hollar like this.
  3. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    I'm in Uruguay right now, and Matt Wilson is also here, I'll ask him what the future for the band looks like in the morning

4. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Please tell Matt Wichita, Kansas says hello.

5. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Will do, he was just talking about going to Wichita State last night

Joshua Pickenpaugh likes this.
  6. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Matt passes through town every so often, always a pleasure.

7. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    They played the London Jazz Festival recently, with Oles on bass

jazzcat_13 likes this.
  8. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Matt said that the band is not finished and there are various ideas and plans in play to go forward

9. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    He says hello back

Joshua Pickenpaugh likes this.
  10. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Throughout his life he got far more press and recognition than any of his peers, so better that than the other way around.