Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Charlie Haden w/ Kenny Barron - Spivey Hall

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by JazznFunk, Oct 13, 2002.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I had the chance to catch a rare duo concert that Charlie Haden did with pianist Kenny Barron last night at Spivey Hall near Atlanta, GA. The venue held maybe 2-300 people at most, and the acoustics were darn near perfect. It was incredible. I told the girl when I ordered tickets that I was a bassist and would love to sit as close as possible... she proceeded to give me tickets right in front of Charlie, maybe 2 rows back from the front. It was perfect. Afterward, Charlie was gracious enough to talk briefly with me and was very encouraging in my own musical pursuits. Needless to say, I was honored to hear such a legend play in an intimate setting like that, and to speak with him afterward was even better. Hearing him on records is great, but until you hear that sound live, it just doesn't register with you fully. Charlie hit one note at one point, a low A I think, and I almost cried.

Anyway... If you get a chance to see/hear Charlie in a context like this, don't miss it. It was wonderful.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He didn't sing "Wayfaring Stranger," did he? There's something to make you cry.

3. I just caught Haden last the Thursday in Miami. He was performing a concert he called "Nocturne." It was a collection of boleros, very melodic ballads, played with much feeling by his Latin sidemen. It was a real pleasure to hear such fine musianship.

4. Man I am sooo sorry I missed that show! Spivey is AWESOME...I go there whenever I get a chance.