1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Charlie Haden. What Strings???

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by rickwolff, Nov 4, 2018.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ -- Endorsing Artist-- ---3M Dual Lock--- Supporting Member

OMG, I NEVER thought I'd say this.....but was just given a copy of the CD 'Jasmine', the duo recording with Keith Jarrett and Charlie Haden.

DID CHARLIE PLAY GUTS?

If so, I'm still not going down that rabbit hole. BUT, even though I've been loving my Spiro Weichs (and here's the part I NEVER thought I'd say), I'd like a little less sustain. I went and heard a friend play guts on a ply bass in a duo last night, and though effective, it really was TOO thumpy for my taste. I may be looking for something in-between my SW and Charlies sound.

So, Obligatos or EP Weichs - I just happen to have a used set of each here. I had replaced the EPs with the SP W because I thought they were getting a little 'dead'. Maybe that's what I need now. I also have Zyex Light AND medium G and D strings, but I currently have the light D on my bass with the rest Spiro Weichs because the Zyex bowed a little better but still blends very well with the Spiros.

What to do....What to do???? I thought I was done with this nonsense.

HELP.

EDIT: In case it helps you to help me, here is a little acoustic pizz clip of my bass with the Spiro Weichs:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  2. Jim T

Jim T

Nov 28, 2004
    Seatlle
    Maybe before changing strings, try raising your string height to a level your hands are still comfortable with? I found SP W to bridge the gap a bit by doing that.

3. rickwolff

Thanks, I'll try that.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  4. Sean Riddle

Sean Riddle Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Ventura, California
    Spirocores on E and A and Golden Spirals on D and G. I know when he was younger he used Mittels, but don’t know if he used a lighter gauge when older.

dhm, salcott and the_Ryan like this.
  5. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    For a long time Charlie played Golden Spiral wrapped guts on top of Spiro mittels.

dhm likes this.
  6. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Oh...THIS is going to be FUN!!!!!
    My Bass Only Gut-sier!!!

Lee Moses, rickwolff and Sam Dingle like this.
  7. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    I really like the sound of your bass/fingers.

Excluding the obvious differences between player technique and different basses, is that mellow and "nasal" sound due to the Spiros light? Because I really liked your sound.

How did you record the sample?

8. rickwolff

J_Bass, Thanks! I recorded this with the Zoom Q8 about a foot in front of the bride. (I meant 'bridge'). Don, I'm surprised I didn't hear from you on that one.

9. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Thanks for the reply. I have a zoom h2n, but it sounds boomy on my electric basses. But maybe it's the room. I'll try again when I have the double bass.

What about the strings? Is that a typical Spiro light sound?

10. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I've mixed Spiros, obis, Ep Weichs and Zyex lights. With spiros, I think the Oblis and Zyex Lights are a better match. I prefer the Zyex to Oblis, too. Currently I'm using Mittels under a Zyex G on one bass and that combo is good.

11. rickwolff

Typical?? I really don't know if there really is such a thing. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

12. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    I understand that the major part is the player and the also the bass.

I was referring to that mellow sound, if it was a characteristic of the those strings. Just curious.

I will stop hi-jacking the thread, now. Thanks for the info!

13. rickwolff

That was not a hi-jack. It's all good. Here is a link to a string matrix with many sound samples you may find helpful:String Matrix - Hervé Jeanne

Re: the tone of the Spiro Weichs, I myself wouldn't call them 'mellow', but terms are very (I meant subjective, not suggestive). I think they are a bright string and pretty much everyone agrees that they have tons of sustain (more than I currently want).

J_Bass likes this.
  14. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Great link, thanks!

15. rickwolff

Thanks, Eric. I first raised my bridge a bit and, indeed, that cuts some of the 'excessive' sustain and sounds rather good. I appreciate you thoughts and if I change any strings I'll probably just start by adding the Zyex light G to to Light D I have on now.

Eric Hochberg likes this.
  16. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I'm still laughing at your original post!!!!
    Whew!

17. rickwolff

JimmyT, So I raised the bridge about a full turn (I kind of lost track but they look even). The heights at the octave now are 'approximate G 3/16 or 5mm, D 1/4 or 6+ mm, A and E app 5/16 or 8 mm.

It sounds and feels different enough that I'm tempted to record another little sample and see if it is obvious on the recording.

JimmyT likes this.
  18. rickwolff

So, after raising the strings I recorded another little clip. Not sure if it is noticeably different but to me, by the bass, it sounds and feels pretty good.

Isotonic, lrhbass and Jim T like this.
  19. Wouldn't be 5 to 8 cm a bit high? ;)
    But you probably meant mm...

I wouldn't go lower than 5 mm for the G with Spiro Weich.

If you want to try a synthetic wound string like the Golden Spirals, try Silver Slaps (in the gut tension range) or Super Silvers (higher tension, probably not far from Spiro Mittel). The core stretching is similar to gut and you don't have the intonation instability of wound gut.

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  20. rickwolff

Yes, mm - corrected, thanks. Probably only Paul Bunyan measures his in centimeters.