charlie haden

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by soundofphysics, Feb 5, 2001.

1. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    waht does everybody think of charlie haden. I think his playing is great in a contextual setting. His playing is perfect for the free jazz/avante garde setting. It's articulate, experimental, punctual, and melodic enough to be enjoyed even when surrounded by all the melody and rythm within the music. Any opinions??
  2. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Best kept secret: Charlie's a monster.
    Second best kept secret: Don, The Man, has some first hand info on Charlie.

[Edited by olivier on 02-06-2001 at 08:18 AM]
  3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    In a recent thread on influences I said I wasn't influenced by bass players anymore but Charlie Haden is somewhat of an exception. I am continually inspired by his sense of space and service to the music and my effort to learn from his playing is very conscious.
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    For some very interesting and somewhat heated insights into Charlie's playing, you might check out "Poor Jazz Tone...and no Bounce" in DB Technique.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not qualified to comment on how great a player he is - most Double Bass players impress me - but he has certainly been involved in some fine music, that is well worth listening to.

I love his composition "Silence" which is one of the most beautiful of modern original Jazz compositions IMO - should be a "standard".

I like his playing with Don Cherry - have any of the experienced players here ever played "Mopti" - great bassline, but requires a lot of stamina!! We played it at Jazz Summerschool transposed up from E to C and it made my wrist ache after only a few minutes.
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    As I've said before, I think anyone who can keep up with Ornette deserves respect.
  7. Charlie Haden is one of my favorite players because of this choice of notes, he played one of my all time favorite favorite bass solo's but I cannot figure out what recording it is from , I have it on a cassette..
  8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I love Charlie's tone, and his ensemble work and writing but his solos have never done it for me. The solos I've heard on some of his Liberation Music Orchestra and solo albums struck me as hokey and simplistic.
  9. bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Charlie is the man. I'm checking out a duo album he did with Hampton Hawes called "As Long as there's music" as I write. Melodicism out the ying-yang. I've only seen him once-in a duo with Brad Mehldau at a Thelonius Monk Foundation gala. The other bassists on the gig were Ray Brown, Christian McBride, John Clayton, Brian Bromberg, and a few others. Charlie's bass sounded like it was coming from deep within a well, perfectly in tune. Not flashy at all, but, way better for that very reason.
  10. Charlie is from the Ozarks, where he sang hillbilly and gospel music on the radio with his family. This likely plays a role in the "folksy" flavor of many of his solos.

I have to admit, when I see his left hand technique, I wince. But he's a consummate musician by any standard, and more than just about anyone in jazz, he brings out the bass's profound earthiness.

He was also a holdout on gut strings, using them long after many of his peers defected and long before any of the young lions "discovered" them.
  11. Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    didn't want to start a new thread, since there's one here, but just wondering, does anyone know what gut strings and what bass charlie plays? For curiosity's sake....

12. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Charlie Haden had always been one of those bassists I liked, but hadn't paid that much attention to. That changed when I started playing upright. His tone, sense of melody, and his well-thought out solo and accompaniment lines are a constant reminder of how simplicity is sometimes the best approach of all.

For someone whose biggest bass-centric influences, both on electric and upright, are Jaco Pastorius and Scott LaFaro, it was definitely refreshing to hear Charlie's approach. He loves music, it comes from his heart, and you can definitely hear and feel it in his playing... that's what makes Charlie great IMHO.
  13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Bassgeek, that Hampton Hawes disc is one of the best recordings I've ever heard. I love the way you can hear Charlie's fingers snapping against his palm as he's playing the walking line on the first cut. Is that album still in print?
  14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Charlie is one of my favorite players, in part because he almost always plays very simply....because I'm a relative DB newbie without a lot of chops at the moment, Haden's playing has been a great example for me of how to play very musically and well without having to have monster LaFaro/NHOP chops. In a way, he reminds me of Bill Evans in this regard, the difference being that Evans actually HAD monster chops and simply chose not to use them most of the time.
  15. Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    thanks much Ed.....
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks to the "Great Blizzard of SE Va"-
    ...I've spent most of the day checking out Ornette's box, Beauty Is A Rare Thing.
    Haden has a clue or two about playing in that 4-tet; he sounds great with both Higgins & Blackwell.
  17. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I adore Haden's playing in whatever contexts he chooses to play in. When I hear him, I hear not a great bassist, but a great musician. About 10 years ago, at a concert at the North Sea Jazz Festival, the MC introduced Haden as "the poet of the bass." I always thought that was entirely appropriate.
  18. Why is Charlie Haden always classified as an avant garde bassist? I understand that a majority of his work was done with Ornette Coleman, and that Ornettet's music is classified as out, or avant garde. What I want to know is has anybody heard the Montreal recordings? Charlies playing on these records is very, very straight ahead, and extremely supportive.
  19. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The two of those that I have -- without looking I believe are with Don Cherry and Paul Bley -- likely wouldn't be pigeon-holed as traditional, swing, bop, post bop, or any varition of the classification 'straight ahead' by Leonard Feather or any of the other critics (read geniuses).
  20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I've only seen him live once, in a trio with Lew Tabackin and Billy Higgins. His sound was just huge, and the interplay with Billy was telepathic. His solos developed organically, and were integrated into the overall musical landscape perfectly. I also had the honor of hanging out with him at soundcheck for a bit; he's a very nice gentleman, and a class act.