1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Charlie Haden

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by chrismmc, Dec 3, 2004.

1. I want to expand my growing Charlie Haden collection...what are some of your favorites? Any I should avoid?

2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Montreal Tapes with Gonzalo Rubalcaba, I love this CD. I can listen to it over and over and hear something new everytime. The entire set is nice. I really enjoy Haden's playing on it. He has nice solos throught out. Plus, just a great trio.

Also, if you don't already. The stuff he did with Ornette.

3. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Any of his Quartet West stuff is great. I highly recommend Missouri Sky, which is his duo album with Pat Metheny. Absoultely brilliant.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I don't think there's anything to avoid, Charlie is one of those bassists who sounds like himself in just about any situation, including Ricki Lee Jones.

There's a series of duo records he did on the label Horizon, one I know was called SOAPSUDS SOAPSUDS. The Old and New Dreams stuff is fun. Even more than the duo record, I would recommend REJOICING cause it's got Charlie and Billy Higgins playing on it. I personally dig STEAL AWAY with Hank Jones and WANTON SPIRIT with Kenny Barron and Roy Haynes, those get played a LOT.

5. I have many of the ones mentioned,except the ones ED mentioned,which I will seek out,but since it was mentioned...
    I have (what I believe to be)most of "The Montreal Tapes".I have with Gonzalo Rublacaba,Liberation Music Orchestra,Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell,Paul Motain and Paul Bley,and Joe Henderson and Al Foster.I know of one other-Geri Allen and Paul Motain,but I was wondering if anybody knew of any others that have been released that I don't know about...
    Thanks in advance!

6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    "Rejoicing". A trio album (Pat Metheny, Haden, + drums). Excellent except for the "noise song" (Metheny always seems to do one of these every so often).