Charlie Haden

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by chrismmc, Dec 3, 2004.

1. I want to expand my growing Charlie Haden collection...what are some of your favorites? Any I should avoid?
  2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Montreal Tapes with Gonzalo Rubalcaba, I love this CD. I can listen to it over and over and hear something new everytime. The entire set is nice. I really enjoy Haden's playing on it. He has nice solos throught out. Plus, just a great trio.

Also, if you don't already. The stuff he did with Ornette.
  3. Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Any of his Quartet West stuff is great. I highly recommend Missouri Sky, which is his duo album with Pat Metheny. Absoultely brilliant.
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I don't think there's anything to avoid, Charlie is one of those bassists who sounds like himself in just about any situation, including Ricki Lee Jones.

There's a series of duo records he did on the label Horizon, one I know was called SOAPSUDS SOAPSUDS. The Old and New Dreams stuff is fun. Even more than the duo record, I would recommend REJOICING cause it's got Charlie and Billy Higgins playing on it. I personally dig STEAL AWAY with Hank Jones and WANTON SPIRIT with Kenny Barron and Roy Haynes, those get played a LOT.
  5. I have many of the ones mentioned,except the ones ED mentioned,which I will seek out,but since it was mentioned...
    I have (what I believe to be)most of "The Montreal Tapes".I have with Gonzalo Rublacaba,Liberation Music Orchestra,Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell,Paul Motain and Paul Bley,and Joe Henderson and Al Foster.I know of one other-Geri Allen and Paul Motain,but I was wondering if anybody knew of any others that have been released that I don't know about...
    Thanks in advance!
  6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    "Rejoicing". A trio album (Pat Metheny, Haden, + drums). Excellent except for the "noise song" (Metheny always seems to do one of these every so often).