Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Charlie Haden's Bass for sale!!!??

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by telarcfatigue, Mar 19, 2002.

1. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
  2. I all I can say is ....

Wow.

Just give me a little time to sell my house, cars and children.

Is it true that Charlie is selling this bass because he is now playing a plywood Christopher? ;)

Seriously, is this Haden's main bass? I thought he had an 18th century Vuilliaume or something. I hope that he is not in dire financial straits to be selling this particular bass. It seems uncharacteristic of him to be putting an artificially high value on an instrument that will end up in a collection somewhere rather than as a working bass.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm pretty sure that the Vuillaume is still his main bass. He used to have a Pollmann too. Maybe, like the rest of us, he's running out of storage space.

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    That starting price is probably 10K more than a Cune should go for on a good day. I dunno, mebbe the proceeds are going to the WTC fund.

www.maestronet.com -a 1953 Rene Cune was sold at auction for a little under 4K recently.

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I agree completely with Jeff B on the price. These days, your Mirecourt goes from 5K for the generic lower end up to 15K for an exceptionally good one. Of course, some dried-up spots of sweat of CH can make a huge difference...

Ed: I red in the French newspaper Le Monde a chronicle and an interview of CH where they described his high pitched voice and his use of "man" to ponctuate his speech. They also explained the arrival of THE Vuillaume bass of the master in Miami FL to record with Rubalcada... so I am pretty sure the Nocturno album was made in Miami.

Mike G, to be accurate: in the 18 century, Vuillaume was not born yet!

6. Oh, sure. I knew that. :rolleyes:

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's what makes his work so amazing;)

8. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    As I talked about that anecdote around me, I got some more info about Cune's basses. Of course, we don't know this one in particular, but generally they were pear shaped, made of beech wood for the back and sides, and notoriously dead soundwise.

And also difficult to resell from a luthier point of view.:D

9. That's why this thing is being marketed on e-bay.

By the way, that bass from the Canned Heat guy is still available, and he'll come over to your house for a picture if you buy it.

10. Canned Heat? Isn't that the band that claimed they played so loud they could turn air into cottage cheese?!