Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Charlie Hadens Bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Pmon, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Pmon

Pmon

Jun 9, 2004
    Hello Chaps,

Any ideas about the Hadens latest bass, word on the street is that its a Pollman, any ideas as to the model.

Best Wishes

Pmon

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Email him! He's a very friendly guy in my experience. Hard to imagine him playing anything but the Vuillaume. He did have a Pollmann, I think I talked to him once about it being stolen and him having to buy it back later. Long time ago, brain fuzzy... :eyebrow:

3. As I remember, it was a very big Busetto model with the outside linings carved design. Like all Charlie's basses...great sound!!
    To my knowledge, that was a while back...currently i've only seen him playing that gorgeous Vuillaume

4. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    When I worked for and studied with Charlie I got to play that lovely bass (the Vuillaume) for him at sound checks (it was sure a blast playing that bass with quartet west) and once when he went on tour he left it with me for a month. It is truly one of the finest basses. It plays like butter (the action is high but really not as high as some think...just, you know, the right height for guts)
    When he tours europe he (at least several years back) would borrow a Pollman from someone I don't remember who but I do know that he was actively searching for a bass to take on tour...The Vuillaume had been injured in a photo shoot ( a light stand fell on it) and also a sound guy smashed the lower bought up once when Charlie asked him to take it off stage. I think he decided it was time to get a tour bass and keep the V for recording and local stuff. At Cal Arts he was always telling us to get better basses (I remember it being a little irksome cause I could barely afford the one I had, a Pollman with too thick a top and no sound.)

5. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    He has a bass made by Jean Auray, too, that was the one I saw him play last tour.
    It was in some magazine.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The DOUBLE BASSIST with the article on Jean Auray (other articles on Barre Phillips, ISB convention).

7. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the lastest downbeat has a picture of him playing the Auray too.

8. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    He usually borrows or rents a bass for the road, not to disturb the great Villiaume. At least that was the practise about 9-10 years ago when he borrowed my ancient little German bass to play a college gig here in TN. The bass came back with the bridge hiked up to the hilt and the GKmb-200's tone controls all the way down.

Ike

9. klepto

klepto Guest

Nov 10, 2004
    do you have his email address??

10. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC