Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Charlie Haden's "Nocturne" - any fans or comments?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Bruce Lindfield, May 29, 2001.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I picked this up over the weekend and am very impressed by the way it is so "under-stated" and devoted to the art of the song and melody, while having some great playing, without ever being virtuosic for its own sake.

I also like the way that it does have a late-night feel and is an antidote to the idea that all Cuban or "Latin" music is rhythmic grooves with little harmonic interest.

It is basically a piano, bass, drums acoustic trio - Haden with Gonzalo Rubalcaba and Ignacio Berroa on piano and drums respectively - with some guest soloists - Joe Lovano, David Sanchez, Pat Metheney (acoustic only!) and Federico Britos Ruiz.

I think it's a wonderful album for standards and tunes that are probably new to most of us, which are integrated into the Jazz idiom seamlessly to make something new which is rooted in several traditions and is also eminently listenable.

Anyone else like it or have any views?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's a very pretty album, showing yet again what great taste Haden (and Rubalcaba) has. The sparse instrumentation is also a nice change of pace from the Quartet West recordings, which, IMO, have become a little too overwrought with the addition of old record samples, strings, orchestras, vocalists, etc. For once, you can actually hear Haden on a Haden recording.

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Can you please give us the tunes listing?
    I'd like to know what kind of repertory Charlie has chosen.

TIA.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Track listing:

1. En La Orilla Del Mundo (At The Edge Of The World)
    2. Noche De Ronda (Night Of Wandering)
    3. Nocturnal
    4. Moonlight (Claro De Luna)
    5. Yo Sin Ti (Me Without You)
    6. No Te Empenes Mas (Don't Try Anymore)
    7. Transparence
    8. El Ciego (The Blind)
    9. Nightfall
    10. Tres Palabras (Three Words)
    11. Contigo En La Distancia/En Nosotros (With You In The Distance/In Us)

I know. I haven't heard any of these either. Some of them are Rubalcaba originals; others have been around for a while. They're mostly ballads at medium-slow tempos. As Bruce says, they're great for late night listening.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - I quite liked this - it's sort of like Haden has gone and found some new standards. 5 of them are well-known in Cuba apparently. So for anybody who wants a new ballad to put in their set ....you could do worse than pick up on one of these.