Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Charlie hunter, Duo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 6-stringer, Sep 6, 2000.

1. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I don't know if I have ever seen Charlie mentioned in here.
    If you don't know who he is, he's a great bass player......
    and a phenominal guitarist, at the same time.
    He plays an 8 string guitar/bass. He comps very funky rootsy
    lines, while pulling these impossible solos and chord progressions. The guy is as close to two players as you have ever seen. He will comp himself with the bass part while he is playing a solo, and he'll comp his bass solos with funky little jazz guitar progressions. I saw him play not too long ago. His bass and guitar parts seem completely independent,
    sometimes atonal and unrelated to each other, and it all comes out very naturally.
    Check out the Duo album, charlie and a drummer. Very confusing stuff. Falls under the jazz/funk category, more or less.

2. Charlie Hunter is the most amazing musician I have ever seen, period. Everything 6-stringer mentioned, and the incredible thing to me is, while he's thumbing these funky walking bass lines and comping jazz guitar at the same time, he never looks at the neck! He's staring into space, at the ceiling, at the audience, at his bandmates, but he never looks at the fingerboard. I encourage anyone who likes jazz in the least to check out his recordings, and if you get the chance to see him live, DO IT!
    I've been lucky enough to see him play in front of miniscule audiences, because no one around here knew who he was. I saw his trio play in a basement bar here, a Tuesday night 8pm show in front of maybe 15 people. Then I saw his band T.J. Kirk in front of maybe 10 people. That band was him and two jazz guitarists and a jazz drummer from San Fran, doing covers of Thelonius Monk (T), James Brown (J) and Rashaan Roland Kirk. Smokin'!
    In 1997 I had tickets to see his quartet open for Tracy Chapman at a big ampitheater, but my apartment was burglarized and they took the tickets!